mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Worried about my SF carbon frame

I picked up a carbon Superfly about a month ago, but I wish I had done my homework first. I love how the bike rides/handles, and I've had an absolute blast riding it . . . at least up until the point that I started reading about all of the carbon GF/Trek frames that have cracked. Particularly concerning is the number of folks who have repeatedly cracked replacement frames . Now I'm constantly worried while on the trail that I'm gonna do something that will result in frame failure - the fun is gone 'cause I'm holding back and avoiding stuff. Granted, I'm doing moderate to occasionally agressive XC riding - no drops or anything like that, but I do occasional take some decent jumps. Are all of the cracked frame reports just due to the shear number of bikes sold? Should I be worried? Any GF/Trek carbon owners been riding crack-free? I'm seriously considering swapping out the carbon frame for the Al SF frame.

Thanks,
    Ben

mtbr member
    I've been considering a Superfly 100 myself. I'm not as worried about the frame breaking. Yes, it is happening, but Trek offers a lifetime warranty on the frame.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Just ride it. I've got a SF and a Rig. You can find stories/pics of both on the web from people who have had issues. So far I'm not one of them. SF is still relatively new but the Rig has a ton of miles on it. If either develop a problem I'm confident it will be handled but I'm not holding my breath waiting or worrying about it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I just bought a 2011 a week ago. I'm not worried about it considering the lifetime warranty and Trek's record of living up to it. I think I'll be mildly concerned taking it on a multi-day epic type ride a long ways from anywhere.. duct tape may be going in my pack for carbon repair!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    About two months ago, I got a superfly for "A song" and even if I'm worry about a failure, the frame handles really nice.

No, I don't think I will buy a new one when this one breaks, but for sure will be sad then the day comes.

Ps: i'm 6.2" and pretty heavy at around 245 with gear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    "Ps: i'm 6.2" and pretty heavy at around 245 with gear."

Good to know because I'm in that very "dense" class of rider myself.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmann View Post
    "Ps: i'm 6.2" and pretty heavy at around 245 with gear."

Good to know because I'm in that very "dense" class of rider myself.
    The frame does handle really well, yes it flexes but not in a intrusive way but sufficient to not need a short travel cross country bike, but man when it makes sounds (amplified by the carbon) my whole body gets ready to jump before I end up with only the handlebars on my hands.

Last edited by patineto; 04-27-2012 at 11:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    What kind of fork do you have on that?

I went with the FS superfly.. after only riding hardtails and no suspenders forever. The only mod I've made is getting rid of those crazy swept back handlebars they are put on the 2011

The Angry Singlespeeder

Carbon repair

We've repaired several damaged Superfly frames, so have no worries about possibly breaking it. Most frames are easily repairable and can be made to be as strong or stronger than new - something you can't do with aluminum. Here's an example of a Superfly we recently repaired:

Trek Superfly Carbon Fiber Bike Frame Repair
    Kurt Genshammer
    The Angry Singlespeeder
    @AngrySinglespdr

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Nice work! What do you charge for a repair like that?

mtbr member
    That sir is a Maverick DUC32 fork. One of the most amazing forks I have ever gotten to ride. Super easy to rebuild, ahhh if only I had more coin.

MAVERICK - Products

The downfall with those forks is, you have to buy a Maverick hub and build a new front wheel.

The Angry Singlespeeder
    That repair was about $450.
    Kurt Genshammer
    The Angry Singlespeeder
    @AngrySinglespdr

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Genshammer View Post
    We've repaired several damaged Superfly frames, so have no worries about possibly breaking it. Most frames are easily repairable and can be made to be as strong or stronger than new - something you can't do with aluminum. Here's an example of a Superfly we recently repaired:

Trek Superfly Carbon Fiber Bike Frame Repair
    that is pretty amazing. is there a missing step? i understand it might be proprietary.
    "This Trek/Gary Fisher Superfly was the victim of a Vail Lake wreck, with the bottom and side of the top tube blown out.
    After laying down a base, non-structural ply of carbon, we vacuum bagged the repair area and sanded to shape.
    Then we repainted the top tube white, slightly altering the original Gary Fisher logo ..."

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Maverick DUC32 really great design by Paul Turner the founder of rock shox.

The Angry Singlespeeder

Repairs

Yeah, I didn't get photos of the repair process on that one. Here are a couple other repairs that show how we cut the shapes and vacuum bag the repair

Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon Fiber Bike Frame Repair

Trek Top Fuel Carbon Fiber Bike Frame Repair
    Kurt Genshammer
    The Angry Singlespeeder
    @AngrySinglespdr

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I have that same frame. Weigh 220lbs with gear and have 4K miles of it without any issues. That said a buddy of mine broke his two weeks after getting his, but he did get it repaired for $350.00 and hasn't had a problem since. I will say the way he fell he probably would have dented/broken any frame to the point that it was unrideable. Rocks and frames do not mix well at high speeds.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Yeah, I didn't get photos of the repair process on that one. Here are a couple other repairs that show how we cut the shapes and vacuum bag the repair
    Nice!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon Fiber Bike Frame Repair

Trek Top Fuel Carbon Fiber Bike Frame Repair
    +1 for you. This is some amazing work! You'll probably hear from me in the near future
    Seeking MB-2 Fork (19.3), Ritchey FD post silver 26.8