Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Worried about my SF carbon frame

3K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  trodaq 
#1 ·
I picked up a carbon Superfly about a month ago, but I wish I had done my homework first. I love how the bike rides/handles, and I've had an absolute blast riding it . . . at least up until the point that I started reading about all of the carbon GF/Trek frames that have cracked. Particularly concerning is the number of folks who have repeatedly cracked replacement frames . Now I'm constantly worried while on the trail that I'm gonna do something that will result in frame failure - the fun is gone 'cause I'm holding back and avoiding stuff. Granted, I'm doing moderate to occasionally agressive XC riding - no drops or anything like that, but I do occasional take some decent jumps. Are all of the cracked frame reports just due to the shear number of bikes sold? Should I be worried? Any GF/Trek carbon owners been riding crack-free? I'm seriously considering swapping out the carbon frame for the Al SF frame.

Thanks,
Ben

#3 ·
Just ride it. I've got a SF and a Rig. You can find stories/pics of both on the web from people who have had issues. So far I'm not one of them. SF is still relatively new but the Rig has a ton of miles on it. If either develop a problem I'm confident it will be handled but I'm not holding my breath waiting or worrying about it.

#4 ·
I just bought a 2011 a week ago. I'm not worried about it considering the lifetime warranty and Trek's record of living up to it. I think I'll be mildly concerned taking it on a multi-day epic type ride a long ways from anywhere.. duct tape may be going in my pack for carbon repair!

#9 ·
Carbon repair

We've repaired several damaged Superfly frames, so have no worries about possibly breaking it. Most frames are easily repairable and can be made to be as strong or stronger than new - something you can't do with aluminum. Here's an example of a Superfly we recently repaired:

Trek Superfly « Carbon Fiber Bike Frame Repair

#13 ·
We've repaired several damaged Superfly frames, so have no worries about possibly breaking it. Most frames are easily repairable and can be made to be as strong or stronger than new - something you can't do with aluminum. Here's an example of a Superfly we recently repaired:

Trek Superfly « Carbon Fiber Bike Frame Repair
that is pretty amazing. is there a missing step? i understand it might be proprietary.
"This Trek/Gary Fisher Superfly was the victim of a Vail Lake wreck, with the bottom and side of the top tube blown out.
After laying down a base, non-structural ply of carbon, we vacuum bagged the repair area and sanded to shape.
Then we repainted the top tube white, slightly altering the original Gary Fisher logo ..."

#16 ·
I have that same frame. Weigh 220lbs with gear and have 4K miles of it without any issues. That said a buddy of mine broke his two weeks after getting his, but he did get it repaired for $350.00 and hasn't had a problem since. I will say the way he fell he probably would have dented/broken any frame to the point that it was unrideable. Rocks and frames do not mix well at high speeds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.