Kneel Before Your Master

Who has changed their X-Caliber to 100mm travel?

I just picked up a 2010 X-Caliber and I am thinking about changing the Fox F80 RL29 fork to a 100mm from the stock 80mm. Has anyone here done this? How did you like it? Does it effect the steering too much? Also, in regards to making the change do I just switch some spacers around, or do I have to move a roll pin up to the next hole?

Thanks
    Last edited by mbogosia; 09-06-2010 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Spelling

Kneel Before Your Master
    So I found some threads on how to do it, but I am more concerned about the results after its done now. I ride some rough trails and the 20mm travel and being more upright seems like it would help.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Iv'e done it on my rig SS, initial testing suggests its working well. I have it set up so it sags the first 20mm putting me back to the 80mm resting point, but with a much plusher feel than before. ( if I set the 80mm version plush I would bottom it out way too easy )

Kneel Before Your Master
    Good to know. I am sure it will be fine. I went over some rocks with this 80mm fork and I thought I was going over the bars. I'm sure Its more rider error vs. the fork.

mtbr member

I did it

My stock 80mm tora on my cobia 29er (same frame as x cal) blew three times. Rock shox sent a 100mm reba as a warranty upgrade. The bike is MUCH nicer with 100mm up front. I set it plush with 20mm sag and it soaks up the bumps big and small. The thudbuster seatpost takes care of the rest...super comfortable all day trail bike now. I even race it in off road triathlons.
    29ers are more fun!

Kneel Before Your Master
    Good to hear. I actually stuck a 90mm stem on my bike today and I really think it is going to help a lot. It had a 105mm stock. I will report back after I get a good ride in on it.

At Work
    Quote Originally Posted by slidecontrol
    Iv'e done it on my rig SS, initial testing suggests its working well. I have it set up so it sags the first 20mm putting me back to the 80mm resting point, but with a much plusher feel than before. ( if I set the 80mm version plush I would bottom it out way too easy )
    I just added more sag to my RIG @ 100mm yest. morning. Much nicer.
    2009 Titus FTM

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku
    (Resurection in Progress)

Kneel Before Your Master
    Well I took the plunge and changed it to 100mm. Just had to remove the spacer and I was good to go.The first thing I couldn't believe was the lack of oil on either side of the spring. The air side literally dribbled out. It only requires 5ml so no biggie. The bottom side probably had 5ml out of a required 30ml. Anyways, it seems good riding around the yard. I'll report back how it works.