Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Trail Cubist

Who is COMPLETELY HAPPY with your HiFi?

Since there seem to be a high number of negative posts about the HiFi...I'd like to hear from anyone who is totally happy with their HiFi Plus, Deluxe, or Pro...and has had ZERO problems with it (at least no problems that weren't caused by sheer abuse).

I've had mine a year and have had no problems at all. It's been an awesome bike and I'm loving it every time I ride it.

Scott
    29er wheels are dangerous. They may cause you to go faster which can result in serious bodily injury. —Jim311

mtbr member
    I have had mine for 2 years and haven't had a problem, I like it every time I ride it.
    08 Hifi Sm.
    07 Spec. FSR XC
    08 Gary Fisher HiFi

mtbr member
    Very happy with my 08 HiFi Pro 29. My only minor complaint is that it seems to be a noisy bike (lots of chainslap even with a protector).

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I just got a 2010 hifi Plus and love it -what a blast to ride...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have to say, I love mine as well. Riding a 2010 HiFi Deluxe. I abuse it regularly on lots of techy stuff, rock gardens, etc, and it's solid. I even take it downhilling at a local ski resort/bike park. It handles 1-2 foot drops just fine. So far it's the best bike i've owned...and i've owned quite a few.

mtbr member
    2010 HiFi Pro and really happy with it. No issues cept for the shock lost its propedal. But that is a Fox issue.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    2010 Hifi Deluxe. I am in love, no issue to speak of. Hated the XDX tires but everything else is GREAT!

Pirate!!!
    I ride my 2010 pro pretty hard, and I'm a big guy. My only complaints are with the fox fit rl29 fork, not progressive until it bottoms out 1/2" short of full travel? Other than that the bike rocks it!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    love my '07 deluxe.
    07 Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe

mtbr member
    Very happy with the 2010 HiFi Deluxe. Still no posts on '10 HiFi's with cracks? Seems like maybe they finally got the issues with the cracking stays worked out, just in time to be absorbed by Trek.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I just went from a 2007 Fisher Caliber to a 2009 Hi Fi. While I enjoy the quick handling of the Caliber I find that the G2 geometry of the Hi Fi is just as quick handling as the Caliber and the 120mm of suspension flat out ROCKS!!! I'm a 235 pound clyde and have had no problems with the frame on either bike.

I'm not sure what to think about the "Gary Fisher Collection by Trek". I do know that I'm happy as a clam with the Caliber and the Hi Fi.

mtbr member
    I was quite satisfied with the 2008 Hifi, until it cracked in August 2009. I got the warranty replacement in May this year and now I'm very happy with it. The 2010 Hifi is a better bike than the 2008 version. It has the same general feeling but the rear end is stiff, the ABP makes a difference and the suspension is better.
    My bike blog: www.yetirides.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

I Am

2010 HiFi Deluxe. Have it for about a month and it's great.

1. No QR for the seatpost? easy no charge fix, but c'mon...
    2. 9 mm front wheel hubs should be a thing of the past.

mtbr member
    Does anyone NOT have a noisy back brake?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDee
    No noise from my brakes.

mtbr member
    My Brakes have been pretty good though the rear had alignment issues when it was fairly new and squeaked a bit. Only issue I have with my bike is the bottom bracket is just too damn low for New England riding. A quarter to half an inch higher would make me happy.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Despite breaking the swing arm 3 times in the last 18 months (Thank God for Lifetime warranty), I am pretty happy with the bike because it supports the type of riding that I do. Have now converted to singlespeed. It is very good for training and I can still hop around and go al lthe logs I want. Pretty happy with the bike.
    "Want to ride some more miles...?"

mtbr member
    I did for a while, but careful alignment of the calipers and organic pads solved the problem. I also routinely clean the rotors with alcohol and a scotch brite pad. Others have solved problems in various ways.

This thread may help, or just confuse you more.

The Juicy brake turkey warble/vibration MEGA THREAD

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    chance to be happy would be a fine thing.

the delivery dates for the 2011 models keep getting pushed back

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

No brake noise at all on my 2010 Hifi Deluxe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Latent
    No brake noise at all on my 2010 Hifi Deluxe.
    What brakes do you have? I have Hayes 9s and have tried about everything I can think of (short of replacing the brake with another brand) to get rid of the squealing on the back. My Fisher 292 (before it broke and was replaced with the HiFi) squealed too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I'm all grins on my 09 hifi 29er. Rear brake noise minimized by a pad change.
    09 GF HIFI 29

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    What brakes do you have? I have Hayes 9s and have tried about everything I can think of (short of replacing the brake with another brand) to get rid of the squealing on the back. My Fisher 292 (before it broke and was replaced with the HiFi) squealed too.
    My 2010 HiFi came with Elixir 5's. No squealing at all, still using the stock pads. Only thing i do to them is wipe the rotors down with alcohol every so often to clean the grime off.

mtbr member

2009 hi fi 29er

I have over 500 off road miles on mine so far. Nothing but reliable so far. I took it today to a trail known for its extremely tight, twisty singletrack. I have been told that "a 29er is not nimble enough for that trail". This was not the case. A gary fisher 29er handles much like a 26er.
    My problem with the bike is that it will NOT break, I would love to trade my 2009 frame for a 2010 with the beefed up frame with ABP. One can dream.
    29ers are more fun!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I recently purchased a 2010 HiFi Deluxe 29er. This is my first FS 29er and I love it. Only a handful of rides, so no issues so far. It did take me a bit of tweaking to get my position right. Settled on a 12* sweep bar instead of the big 17* that come stock. Changed seat to a fizik tundra pushed all the way back on the rail. I may need a setback post. I also put on some way lighter Stan's 355 wheels.

A few nit picks... the BB is a little low, I have had a few pedal strikes. But the low BB is probably one of the things that add to the stability of the bike. I would like to have seen a 15mm front axle instead of the standard 9mm QR.

Overall it is a great riding bike, rolls over everything and climbs pretty darn well too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Loving the original...

I am loving my '07 Hifi Pro. I have upgraded to RXL wheels, RXL ACC seatpost, RXXXL bars and stem, XT shifters and front der, and the DT Swiss RWS thru axel system. It is a great ride and is around 26.5 pounds for a size 19.5. I have had few issues with it. Creaking was isolated to the air can (just pull apart and grease the threads to fix), the howling from the J7's was taken care of by making sure the calipers are centered on the rotor (the RWS system has helped by keeping the wheel from moving in the dropouts).

I do have more pedal strikes than I did on my Klein hardtail, but I attribute more of that to the fact that I am not peddaling through the rough stuff instead of standing and coasting like I did on the Klein.

I make pants
    Love my 2010 HiFi pro.

Shot from R4Y last weekend:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by picassomoon
    Very happy with the 2010 HiFi Deluxe. Still no posts on '10 HiFi's with cracks? Seems like maybe they finally got the issues with the cracking stays worked out, just in time to be absorbed by Trek.

You do realize that GF has been owned, operated, designed, tested, produced, and distributed by TREK for a long time now? This isnt new

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Completely!

2007 HiFi Deluxe, 27 lbs of perfection.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I've got an older HiFi Deluxe and love it.

My noise problem seems to have been solved but you have to admit that the really loud rear brake is great for warning people that you are behind them!

Master of Disaster
    Quote Originally Posted by tmccrohon
    A gary fisher 29er handles much like a 26er....One can dream.
    Huh? I've trail demoed a 2010 HiFi Deluxe, a 2010 Rumblefish and a 2010 Superfly. Each of them felt like 29er's to me and exactly NOT like any 26er that I've ever ridden. The differences in feel are both positive and negative but they're definitely different animals - to me at least.

The Pivot Mach 429 on the other hand - THAT bike felt like a 26er to me but we each have our opinions.
    I'm gonna miss me when I'm gone.
    IMBA member #234701

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    i have a 2011 hifi deluxe and love it.

Put this bandit hat on.
    Completely happy with my stock 2009 HiFi Plus 29. No noise, no hassle.

mtbr member
    I've got the 2010 Pro frame replacement for when I broke both chain stays on my 09. I love the new frame a hell of a lot better than the 09. I can't think of anything that I don't like about the bike. Rides great!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have had my 2009 Hi-fi pro 29'er since May of this year, and I am 100% stoked with this bike! The bike was a little heavy, so I did the following to her: Truvativ world cup flat carbon bar, Bontrager HCN true carbon seat post, WTB Pure V race(little heavy but damn comfy) Sram 990, tubeless, XT pedals, Ergon GX1 grips. Love this fricken ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I have a HiFi Deluxe 2010. From the start I got a knocking noise from the front brake. Very regular like it was hitting something on the rotor each time it moved around.

This has gone away during the hot summer but on a cooler morning it came back. I also get then metal squealing or turkey sound from front and back. It is not regular just from time to time.

Local shop is working sram to change out the rotors. Has anyone else had issues with the 2010 Deluxe?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I got a 2011 HiFi Deluxe a couple weeks back and 4 days later rode it in the SM 100 (100 mile race in Shenandoah). I love the bike! This is my first 29er and first FS bike, I'm coming from a 26" HT. What a difference! In the 100 miler I had no problems, the big wheels definitely helped on some of the technical terrain, and having the FS was great on the long descents.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by HiFiPilot456
    I have a HiFi Deluxe 2010. From the start I got a knocking noise from the front brake. Very regular like it was hitting something on the rotor each time it moved around.

This has gone away during the hot summer but on a cooler morning it came back. I also get then metal squealing or turkey sound from front and back. It is not regular just from time to time.

Local shop is working sram to change out the rotors. Has anyone else had issues with the 2010 Deluxe?
    No issues here.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I went from a Fuel 26" to a 2008 HiFi Deluxe 29" and love the HiFi. Unfortunately just cracked the chainstay so getting a 2011 replacement. Can't wait. If I was in the market for another bike I would buy another Hifi.

My Juicy 5's have been good. Recently cracked a caliper piston, that is annoying and re build kits seem very expensive for what you get. Not sure what caused crack. These brakes have required occasional adjustment of loosening and tightening the caliper to center on rotor. But that is easy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

brakes?

I'll follow up, after riding the HiFi for a while...
    The frame and rear suspension are great, love it!

Elixir 5 Brakes.... not so much. they always rubbed, pads never retract all the way. I futzed around with them but to no avail. Took it to my LBS, they got the front working OK, The rear is being replaced under warranty. 3 weeks wait, thankfully my LBS put on a loner rear brake so I can ride in the meantime.

Fox fork seems a little stiff, very progressive at the top of the travel. I have to set the air pressure pretty low to get the desired "feel", but then my sag is too much. Any suggestions?
    I have the same fork on another bike (non G2) and it feels great.

Both issues seem to be common, especially the brakes. I don't think either of these issues are necessarily Fisher's but I do think it points to some Quality Control issues at SRAM, Fox and then to GF.

Love the bike, will probably pop for some formula R1 brakes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ethan.j
    I'll follow up, after riding the HiFi for a while...
    The frame and rear suspension are great, love it!

Elixir 5 Brakes.... not so much. they always rubbed, pads never retract all the way. I futzed around with them but to no avail. Took it to my LBS, they got the front working OK, The rear is being replaced under warranty. 3 weeks wait, thankfully my LBS put on a loner rear brake so I can ride in the meantime.

Fox fork seems a little stiff, very progressive at the top of the travel. I have to set the air pressure pretty low to get the desired "feel", but then my sag is too much. Any suggestions?
    I have the same fork on another bike (non G2) and it feels great.

Both issues seem to be common, especially the brakes. I don't think either of these issues are necessarily Fisher's but I do think it points to some Quality Control issues at SRAM, Fox and then to GF.

Love the bike, will probably pop for some formula R1 brakes.
    I always run lower PSI than recommended. Monitor the travel you use. The idea is to bottom it out a few times on every ride. You want to use full travel. Another thing to consider is do not set up a fork to accommodate "big hits". For every big hit there's 1000 little ones. Sag is just one measurement.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by supercal20077
    I have had my 2009 Hi-fi pro 29'er since May of this year, and I am 100% stoked with this bike! The bike was a little heavy, so I did the following to her: Truvativ world cup flat carbon bar, Bontrager HCN true carbon seat post, WTB Pure V race(little heavy but damn comfy) Sram 990, tubeless, XT pedals, Ergon GX1 grips. Love this fricken ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    With those changes, how much did you lower the weight?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I havent put her on a scale yet< I will let you know when I do, I imagine there is some weight saved with the upgrades!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i've got a 2010 hifi plus, i hated the 12 deg backsweep handle but i like to buy a complete bike with good frame and upgraded it the way i want

i unweignt the bike with
    carbon handlebar
    carbon seatpost
    wtb silverado saddle with titanium rail

i will keep those part for my future bike

i'm will upgrade the crankset and the stem

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I have a 2008 HiFi Deluxe 29er and just bought a 2011 HiFi Deluxe 29er so I guess you figured out I love them.

Trying not to kill myself
    Quote Originally Posted by cycling51
    I have a 2008 HiFi Deluxe 29er and just bought a 2011 HiFi Deluxe 29er so I guess you figured out I love them.
    We need pics!!!

I've put a couple hundred miles on my 2010 HiFi Deluxe so far and I'm very happy with it. The bike is a lot more capable than I am, so I'm still learning to trust it and carry more speed through the rough spots. This bike descends like a dream, and it's a pretty good climber too. No problems so far, though I do have a creaking in the rear that seems like a rite of passage for HiFi owners. It's pretty quiet so I haven't spent much time tracking it down, but hopefully it's just the rear skewer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    hey,
    I've got a Gary Fisher HIFI Pro carbon 09 and i love it!
    I've had a few problems but that was due to my mistakes

other than that i have had no problem with it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Been ridin the heck out of my Rumblefish(2010) with zero problems. It's basically a HiFi with a different rear shock and a slightly longer travel front fork.

Pirate!!!
    I love mine! I find that I'm using the bike for trail/am riding. If I'd have known that this bike inspired that I may have bought a RF.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have always been curious about the difference between "all mountain/trail riding" versus "XC". I don't know which camp to identify with. I go up and down hills, I don't do big drops but will get air when the opportunity safely presents itself. I like to ride faster than is comfortable so I feel like i am getting a good work out. I sometimes try to build interval training into my rides, all this in reperation for that ever elusive epic ride where i envision cruising for hours on end. I use clipless pedals and sometimes dont wear baggies over spandex shorts but I never wear brightly decorated jerseys. I wanted a HiFi but got the RF because the slightly more upright riding position was a more comfortable and I felt that would help me want to ride longer. Oh well they are both awesome bikes and the only real fifference in them is the rear shock, which doesn't provide extra travel and the front for which provides and additional 10mm travel. Oh and the paint job, i like the HiFi paint/graphics better.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast