mtbr member

Where to spend $500 in upgrades to stock Trek Superfly 100 Elite SL

I've got $500 to spend on upgrading components on my new 13' Trek Superfly 100 Elite SL. I've already got some Ergon grips, but where do I spend the next $500?

Here's what comes stock on the the bike:

Wheels
    Bontrger Race Lite Tubeless Ready Disc, 15mm front hub, 142x12mm rear hub
    Tires
    Bontrager 29-1 Team Issue, 29x2.2"
    Shifters
    Shimano Deore XT, 10 speed
    Front derailleur
    Shimano Deore XT
    Rear derailleur
    Shimano Deore XT Shadow Plus
    Crank
    Shimano Deore XT, 38/26
    Cassette
    Shimano XT 11-36, 10 speed
    Saddle
    Bontrager Evoke 3, titanium rails
    Seatpost
    Bontrager Rhythm Elite, 31.6mm, zero offset
    Handlebar
    Bontrager Race X Lite Carbon Low Riser, 31.8mm, 5mm rise, 9 degree sweep
    Stem
    Bontrager Race X Lite, 31.8mm, 7 degree
    Headset
    Cane Creek IS-3, E2, cartridge
    Brakeset
    Shimano Deore XT hydraulic disc
    Grips
    Bontrager Race Lite, lock-on

noob
    a set of stans crest wheels

or you can spend some of that money on a professional bike fitting
    2007 Fisher Rig
    2011 Trek Paragon
    2013 Trek Madone 2.1

mtbr member
    The Bontreger Race lite wheelset that it comes with isn't too bad. I've considered switching out the hubs to AC or Hope II's.

Also, I'm considering a Thompson Masterpiece seatpost and Easton XC90 handlebar.

I have to get parts for bike. I would be able to get a fitting. This $500 is an insurance reimbursement for a stolen bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    wheels hubs tires

J79
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Im still waiting on mine, due in March.

First thing Ill do is fit my pedals, replace the seatpost (carbon) and sadle (Fizik Gobi) and ride! See how the other components measure up.

I am also concidering to change the wheelset to a DT240/Notubes set, and to fit Hope disc brakes.

But not out of the box, first I want to get some milage on the bike and see how the stock components work out.

mtbr member
    I'm going to hold off a changing the wheelset. That's something ill consider down the road.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Sell the wheels it comes with, put that money towards Crests with some nice hubs. That is what I did on mine. I did the brakes after that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Anything you do past wheels will be a waste. The rest of the parts spec is really good. The Race X lite line of Bontrager is pretty damn light and for example, putting on a Thomson post will make the bike heavier.

Now having said that, if you decide to go ahead and replace the seat, the handlebar, or the stem, please let me know and I'll buy your take offs

-Tom

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I agree, the 2013 is a nice spec. My 2011 came with XO brakes, they had to go and I have slowly moved back toward Shimano wherever possible.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Save your money and buy yourself more time to ride! That is one sweet bike as is.

mtbr member
    I think I'm going to get the bike fitted for myself and I just bought a 1up bike rack.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by trhoppe View Post
    Anything you do past wheels will be a waste. The rest of the parts spec is really good. The Race X lite line of Bontrager is pretty damn light and for example, putting on a Thomson post will make the bike heavier.

Now having said that, if you decide to go ahead and replace the seat, the handlebar, or the stem, please let me know and I'll buy your take offs

-Tom
    Bike comes with the RL not RXL. Which probably are more in tunes with the weight of aftermarket all mountain wheels

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    you made it sound like you had the bike in hand............
    live to ride ride to live

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Upgrades: Kashima

I will pick up my Superfly this week and wonder the same upgrade question. It has pretty much all I desire apart from tires. I have Bontrager wheels before on EX-8 & I was not happy, open bearings which were shot less than 1 year- pitted balls & races. Superfly comes with sealed hubs- a plus I hope- apart from stiffness determination when I first ride it I hope they are good.

PA trails lots of root and rock gardens- seasons of wet- from deep wet in early spring to slippery mossy wet in hot summers.

I was really wanting to upgrade Fox Shox with Kashima coating but wondered if upgrade is worth it. I intend ride allot and wanted a really sweet rig for single track. Any thoughts? I wanted the best ride I can get for this price range.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Save some more ca$h and get the frickin' I-9's, you'll NEVER be sorry, mine's on order, still waiting, I got the SF100 Carbon elite version which is XT all the way, soooooooooooo sweeeeeeeeeeeet!
    possum out

kabouterclan member
    Jun 2006
    Depending on what you ride: Dropper post?
    Sent from my HAL 9000