Plastic homer

Upset Where is the Roscoe 29?

Lots of info and pics on everything else in the 2012 line-up and still nichts on the Roscoe 29 except its cryptic listing in the suspension set-up

Is this bike real? Problems in development?

mtbr member
    Sorry but you will have to wait for or the Interbike in September.

Erik

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Moval49er View Post
    Lots of info and pics on everything else in the 2012 line-up and still nichts on the Roscoe 29 except its cryptic listing in the suspension set-up

Is this bike real? Problems in development?
    +1 I have been watching for more info, but haven't found any yet. I hope this doesn't turn out like the 10 speed grip shifts....

Glenn

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Of course it is real, Trek is much better at keeping secrets than most bike companies. Isn't Trek World this month?

If you want to know what it looks like close your eyes and imagine a Rumblefish with more suspension travel.

Plastic homer
    Quote Originally Posted by ssalmons View Post
    Of course it is real, Trek is much better at keeping secrets than most bike companies. Isn't Trek World this month?.
    Not sure about Trek World - is that what happened in Austria when all the other Treks were on display/demo?

Seems the Roscoe 29 is the only 2012 bike Trek is good at keeping secret! Everything else in the line seems to be announced or for sale.

I am getting a long travel 29er this year, and like my several Fisher 29ers with G2. But there are other good alternatives, some of them around for years.

I'll try to be more patient.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I would bet this proto is what the Roscoe will look like. Check out the shock and dropper post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Where is the Roscoe 29?-trek-proto-1-600x448.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    When I spoke to Trek's dual suspension frame designer last year, Dylan Howes, he mentioned each prototype was only made to test one specific attribute such as tyre clearance, shock ratio, BB height, head angle etc.

My thoughts on that proto is that it is deliberately designed to look odd as they were probably testing something and didn't want to make it look like the production model.
    Kinda like that Session prototype model that got spied last year;
    New Trek Prototype DH bike

Info and specs on 2012 Treks is released this Monday in a worldwide release, unless they're holding off for a special release.
    My guess is that it will look similar to the 26" Roscoe, with the same swing link design as the Rumblefish. DRCV rear shock and fork with the new Fox 34 chassis 29er fork.
    Bolt thru axles, ABP etc and probably the Reverb Stealth.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I suppose I should add that this is solely based on whether or not it is ever released.
    Last edited by quickfeet18; 08-08-2011 at 08:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Seems I was dead wrong!

New 2012/2013 Trek Roscoe 29er

Does look a lot better in that catalogue, but I guess we'll have to wait for more details!

Plastic homer

Bonking ... not feelin' well Well - thanks anyway.

I'd give this bike a shot if it were ready now, or this fall. But I would need to love the way it rides on the demo - it's a pretty weird beast.

In any case, I'm looking for a bike way before 2013.

Finally, have to wonder - why get as close to selling it as putting it in the catalog, then back off? With Trek's excellent warranty, a half-baked bike of this type could be a liability. Not saying it is less than a real Trek/Fisher, but, this aborted launch is a little off-putting.

My 3 Superflys(08, 09 SS, 2010/2011 100), my HiFi Plus 29 and my Utopia may be getting a Lenz buddy in the rack.

Thanks all.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The catalog photo's are interesting. I will have to stop by my LBS to see how it is spec'd.

It seems like they are cutting the space pretty thin if they have the HiFi, Rumblefish and Roscoe all with FS and 29'rs (Not including the SF). I hope this indicates they are not putting the Gary Fisher line to bed now that it is labeled as part of the Trek collection.

Glenn

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I wonder if they are having structural issues around that perpendicular swing-arm mount on the down tube. I have a buddy with a Transition that formed cracks around the shock mount located in the same spot on the down tube. It's like pushing on the side of a soda can.

Plastic homer
    Quote Originally Posted by richardhall777 View Post
    I wonder if they are having structural issues around that perpendicular swing-arm mount on the down tube. I have a buddy with a Transition that formed cracks around the shock mount located in the same spot on the down tube. It's like pushing on the side of a soda can.
    I don't know - I have a lot of trust in the Trek/Fisher Collection designers - my 2010 Fly 100 an exception, and they fixed that with a so-far unbeatable 2011 frame in a week.

But - you're right - it must be something. The competition is screaming by them. That deflection load on the downtube might fatigue the thunder out of it.

A Lunchbox would be the ticket if you could get a tapered 150 fork for their tapered upcoming frame. If you can settle for 140 a ton are coming - including an extremely attractive Salsa Horsethief.

Too bad. Nobody does 29ers like Gary.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Moval49er View Post
    I don't know - I have a lot of trust in the Trek/Fisher Collection designers - my 2010 Fly 100 an exception, and they fixed that with a so-far unbeatable 2011 frame in a week.

But - you're right - it must be something. The competition is screaming by them. That deflection load on the downtube might fatigue the thunder out of it.

A Lunchbox would be the ticket if you could get a tapered 150 fork for their tapered upcoming frame. If you can settle for 140 a ton are coming - including an extremely attractive Salsa Horsethief.

Too bad. Nobody does 29ers like Gary.
    I hear you, I trust the designers too. If they weren't really good, they wouldn't give such great warranties, like the lifetime frame warranty on my '10 Hifi deluxe. Maybe they have something up their sleeve? Or maybe they won't release something they are not 100% satisfied with yet.

Fork selection is definitely the weak link when it comes to long travel 29ers where the Lunchbox is my favorite, especially with that burly rear axle. Is 140 mm really the longest? There are a quite a few really great options out there now with longer travel; Lenz, Ibis, Yeti, Turner, Pivot, Salsa...... but most everything costs about double that of a Gary Fisher, and I don't think they can beat the quality or warranty. Why are GF/Trek AND Specialized having trouble getting into the longer travel? Maybe they are worried that AM 29ers will cannibalize the sales of their AM 26ers just like cross country 29ers did?

This is off topic, but mostly out of curiosity, I was wondering about how the new 34 mm Fox Talas 140 would do on a HiFi or Rumblefish and if you could get or want the G2 offset for AM riding? The frame seems capable of so much more.

mnt bike laws of physics
    I too am looking forward to seeing the production version of the Roscoe. Personally though, I hope it looks more like the Rumblefish and not like the picture above. I bet a GF 140mm 29er with the new Fox34 would be badass.
    Man, you could plow through some rock gardens on that thing.

Handmade in Switzerland

No Roscoe 29 for 2013

My Trek dealer was invited to see the 2013 Trek models.
    There are a lot of good news such a complete new Superfly fully an a horrible light Hardtail but no Roscoe 29 for 2013. Too sad...

Pirate!!!
    X2, major let down on Fisher/Trek. They'd better do better than that if they plan on keeping up with the competition. There's already several company's out there cranking out 130-140mm 29ers.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Rumor is they couldn't make it function how the wanted, so they started over.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
    http://Theclydeblog.org Big guy cycling product tester