mtbr member

where can I buy bolts for rear rack lower eyelet on '09 Tassajara?

I would like to install a rear rack on my 2009 Gary Fisher Tassajara. It already has 2 bolts on the upper part of the rear triangle near the top of the seatpost tube as shown on the picture below.

However, the eyelets at the bottom of the rear triangle do not have any bolts included. The 2nd picture shows where the eyelet is located just under the rear brake caliper and above the rear wheel quick release skewer.

The picture below is a close-up of the lower eyelet of the rear triangle. As you can see, it is threaded, so I would think that you could screw in a bolt. The problem is that I don't know the exact size or thread pitch of the rack eyelet. So, could someone please provide a link to an online store, or eBay, or a hardware store, that would have the correct bolt that I need. All input, suggestions, comments, or answers would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    I believe the bolt size and pitch is identical to Water bottle cage bolts. All of my Trek/GF frames use this size/pitch.

Give it a try. If they are correct, just go to your local hardware store and pick up a couple identical bolts.

Cheers

mtbr member
    @ Bobby12many, thanks. I tried the water bottle bolts that were already on the '09 GF Tassajara and they thread in perfectly matched. I even tried the water bottle bolts that I had on a Royce Union hardtail, and those also threaded in fine. The only difference was that I had to use a size 4mm on the RU and a 5mm on the GF.

I prefer buying my things on eBay, so I looked up water bottle bolts and the search brought up a lot of items for sale. Can Someone tell me if these bolts sold on eBay are all the same standardized sizes that will fit my '09 GF Tassajara water bottle and rear rack eyelets?

New 4x Water Bottle Cage Stainless Bolts Screw Bike G26 | eBay

Screw Water Bottle Cage Goods Rack Stainless Steel Bolt | eBay

NEW 2 Water Bottle Cage bolts screws M5 x 20mm Black | eBay

Water Bottle Cage Bolts Allen Bolts Bike Braze-on Screw | eBay

mtbr member
    In my experience, all water bottle fittings use the same thread pitch. You should have no issues with ANY of those options. Just make sure to get an appropriate length that will not interfere with your brake rotor or your cassette.

However, I am positive you could find M5 x .8 pitch (std wb fitting size) screws/bolts at your local hardware store for a much lower price (Qty of 4-6 for $1 USD). If you prefer ebay, more power to you, but you may be overspending.