mtbr member
    Sep 2010

What's next on your bike?

Awfully quiet in the GF forum. So, what is the next 'upgrade' or replacement for your bike? I just bought a Planet Bike light for my wife. I installed it this morning. With the days getting shorter, this is a necessity. I also bought a chainstay protector for my X-cal. I got the large and it fit fine.
    I am planning on trying a longer handlebar stem, so I picked up a cheap 100mm one from Fleabay. I am waiting for deliver.

So, what are you planning on doing?

Glenn

mtbr member
    I am seriously considering switching to some Egg Beaters from my SPD's. I crashed again stalling in a rock garden and couldn't get unclipped quick enough. Not sure it will help, but at least want to try.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaindavis
    I am seriously considering switching to some Egg Beaters from my SPD's. I crashed again stalling in a rock garden and couldn't get unclipped quick enough. Not sure it will help, but at least want to try.
    That sounds like a good idea. I don't use clipless, but I want to try at some point. I generally use toe clips but bind them very loosely. Even doing this, I have fallen over without being able to pull my feet out of the cages...

Glenn

mtbr member

Tires

I have the stock Bontrager's and they don't quite grip the trail where I ride. They are dangerous. I need better tires!

mtbr member
    xxx bontrager flat bar to replace my s-works got to love e-bay

mtbr member
    180mm rotors and adapters on my M485 brakes on a 2008 GF Piranha along with a 685mm Easton EA30 riser handlebar, all purchased this weekend.

Next on the chopping block is getting new tires (2.3") and more front wheel travel (currently have a RS Tora 302 100mm, and I wish to get a Tora 85-130mm).

No longer 26
    xxx riser bar to replace an rxl flat. Maybe a xxx post to replace a sette.
    G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The next thing I'll be doing is repairing/replacing the derailleur hanger. I hit a rock and the derailleur was sent into the spokes. My '08 Marlin has too many upgrades as it is.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaindavis
    From what I've heard, Egg Beaters don't seem to be the best pedals for rocks. Times are good, but your SPD's are probably fine, especially if you adjust the release. You can also practice track stands more. Then if you stall out, you will at least have more time/confidence to get your feet out.

mtbr member
    yea i just got a lizard skin chainstay protector aswell, some black cable crimps. and i'm thinking of getting rid of my front 3 gears for just one. I'm always on the middle chain ring in the front and It's easier for me to just changing the rear gears

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsuturbo
    xxx bontrager flat bar to replace my s-works got to love e-bay
    +1 on e-bay. If you watch, you can get some deals. Just have to watch for the shipping.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Ergon GP1 grips

Placed Ergon grips on the bike and so far I like them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Got the stem today. I probably won't get to installing it until the weekend.

Glenn

mtbr member

Everything!

Stripped down my 2010 Rig to the frame, buyer backed out, now I have this extra frame and some random parts that I did not sell. I kinda want to build a nice commuter with it now, but lots to replace!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tbear1
    +1 on e-bay. If you watch, you can get some deals. Just have to watch for the shipping.
    Yup. I just picked up some Bomty big sweep take-offs for $25 shipped

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    My next mtb will be a IF. Sick of Gary selling out. The bikes today are nothing but made in Chinola crap Treks. Nothing like they were back in the late 80's/early 90's.
    Last edited by learlove; 10-21-2010 at 08:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I'm not sure where to go next...perhaps the trails to enjoy what I have.

07 hifi pro, RXL wheels, XXX-lite riser and stem, RWS thru bolts, XT shifters and front der, XTR rear der, XT crank, RXL ACC seatpost. I suppose I could think about ditching the Juicy 7's for a set of Hayes Primes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    XXX bar and stem X-lite seatpost and wheels!

mtbr member
    After spending the last several days in Moab, an adjustable seatpost is definitely on my list. Probably the reverb or dos.

Pirate!!!
    I'm going to add one of those kind shock i900r adjustable seatposts to my 2010 hifi pro.