Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

What is wrong with GF frames?

I have been reading many complaints about GF having a bad reputation about its frames. In this forum I have seen pictures of a broken chain stay on a Hi-Fi and every so often someone makes a comment about a friend who cracked his frame. I know about the warranty that GF offers and I was planning on getting an X-Caliber but all those comments made me think twice about it, specially since I will be leaving the country soon and the warranty will not cover all the expenses in case I needed.
    I don't know if this thread has come before, but I would appreciate the input from people who bought and use GF.

mtbr member
    Visit all the forums and you will see broken frames. Trek and GF probably sell a lot more than many of the smaller brands. I have a 2010 GF HiFi Pro and I am no lightweight so I will have to see how it goes....
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

mtbr member
    Let me say this... I just purchased a Super Fly 100 and if I were worried about their frames I would have spend 5,600 with a different brand. I 100% trust Fisher/Trek. Also they haven't had a recall like other brands. Think about it you've heard lets say 30 complaints about broken main frames / swing arms..... All human made products will brake. I would be worried if they only made 50 bikes and 30 broke but I think they've made a lot more then that. I have been riding Fisher's and Trek's for over 10 years and I LOVE them. I would strongly recommend getting one you will love it and don't worry about it breaking. Just ride it.

mtbr member
    I am somebody who broke my frame (this past saturday). As of right now, I have nothing bad to say about the bike itself (still love it). I am not a lightweight and I don't baby my bike. I purchased it because of the MANY positive stories I have heard about the warranty process. Now I will learn the truth for myself.

We buy expensive bikes. and we ride the hell out of them. They are going to have issues. The key is knowing you will be taken care of if/when the issues occur. Every bike has problems.

I am going to be documenting my entire process. Hopefully it will help you make an informed decision.

mtbr member
    I broke my Super Fly 100 the first time I rode it and I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again. I am waiting for a replacement Main Frame. Should be here this week or early next week. These are Mountain Bikes you will beat the hell out of them. If this were a Road Bike it would be a different story.

mtbr member
    Have there been many reports of 2010 breaks on the aluminum bikes yet? I know the carbon owners have had breaks, but I don't seem to be seeing all the chain stay cracks we are used to on the 2010 models yet. Seems like they have been out there long enough for some crack reports to start trickling in.

Did they change anything significant in 2010 that would make that area stronger?

mtbr member
    I spoke with Trek Tech Support last week and they said once they heard of the problem on the Chain Stay Bridge on the Super Fly 100's they stopped production and fixed the problem by adding more carbon in that area. I haven't heard of ANY aluminum 2010 HiFi's.

mtbr member
    Is it possible the ABP set up has an effect on the swingarms' strength?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by picassomoon
    I don't know but my frame seems overbuilt compared to its predecessor.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

Plastic homer
    Quote Originally Posted by picassomoon
    I don't know - the only Fisher (out of 5 29ers) I have broken was my '08 HiFi Plus 29 - at the chainstay bridge. My Sf100 is n early one that does not get babied - nary a crack. '08 and '09 Superfly (geared and SS) - same thing - sound as a dollar.

Other folks have broken all these bikes, so- YMMV.

But I am happy.

Wish somebody would get mad enough to burn off a warranty SF100, large.

I want a full squish SS! Really really want!

mtbr member
    My thought process was that it doesn't make sense to offer a warranty if you know the frame will break. A company doing that would go out of business very quickly. In fact, I ride a hybrid Trek that has received a lot of abuse and it is working fine.
    But as I said, the warranty will cover your bike if you are in the USA and I will be moving to Europe this summer. There, it will be up to the importer to decide what to charge me should I need a replacement: import fees, taxes...
    Anyway, I will go for the X-Caliber and hope to post pictures of my perfectly running machine soon.
    Thank you all for your comments.

Double-metric mtb man
    Well, I'm still riding my 2006 Cake 2 DLX and the frame has over 5000 km under the wheels. I'm ~245lbs+gear and I'm not gentle on it.

Like all brands, there are growing pains for new models, but considering how many Trek and GF bikes are out there, you're going to hear of some failures (statistical fact of life).
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Broken Frame

I've rode a GF Cake 3 since '06. I ended up cracking the frame last weekend. Took it into my LBS, they processed the warrantee claim with Gary Fisher and said I will have a new Hifi Pro frame within the next week free of charge.

So far, I'm impressed that they stand behind their product and reputation!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Just broke my 09 hi fi plus yesterday.Love the bike ,if I buy another GF depends on how quickly they fix it.Cust svc is important

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LEEDS
    Just broke my 09 hi fi plus yesterday.Love the bike ,if I buy another GF depends on how quickly they fix it.Cust svc is important
    Their CS is second to none.. You will be very happy.

mtbr member
    After doing a lot of research I decided to get an X-Caliber. Went to the shop last week all excited and I was told there are no X-Caliber, no Cobia and no Mamba available. What?
    So I decided to cal every LBS around Westchester County in NY. Nothing. Only a couple of Paragon in my size (19") in NJ but that bike is out of my budget. What I am going to do?
    And now all the changes with GF being branded as Trek and new designs that I don't like as much as the 2010 line.
    I am starting to get desperate here. I will start e-mailing every shop in the USA and try to get a 2010 GF. It is going to be hard but I hope to succeed.
    Ascendit omne descendat

mtbr member
    I don't know. I think if you see several people reporting their frame/swing arm has broken in the same way, and you have the same frame/swing arm, I would expect yours to fail at some point in time. Case in point: I had a Fisher 292. It was reported here that it would crack and fail at the shock support welds on the top tube. I had my bike about 4 years and it eventually failed at the same spot. Yes, until recently, Fisher had a good warranty, but took quite a while to get the replacement frame and get the bike put back together.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Warranty makes up for any frame shortcomings

Purchased 09 X-Cal in July 09. Frame cracked two weeks ago just above the weld where the top tube meets the seat tube. The crack was pretty significant...went nearly half way around the tube. Took it to my local GF dealer and they filed a claim for me. Was supposed to hear back the same day. After not hearing anything for two days I called the bike shop and they called again for me. 5 minutes later they called back with bad new/good news. I asked for the bad news first....they were completely out of aluminum frames and I would get a new signature series frame sometime in August. This was bad news because I wanted a GF frame and I ride several times a week and really didn't want to wait until August. The good news was that GF/Trek was willing to send me a Superfly frame immediately. I'm pretty hard on a bike so I'm not too sure that a carbon frame is the best for me but I figure this will be an inexpensive way to try one out. 3 days later the Superfly frame arrived (last week) and the bike shop called me 3 days ago (Friday) to let me know that the bike was ready. Unfortunately, I'm out of town and can't pick it up until this next Friday. The swapping of parts, hydraulic brake work, new pads, cleaning, etc. cost $200. Bottom line is GF/Trek honored their warranty without questions and in my opinion, went above and beyond to make me happy without me asking. They very easily could have made me wait until August but offered me a faster solution. Hope I don't screw up this new carbon frame but I can't wait to ride it this next weekend! I have a nice Blackspire 1X9 setup, tubeless, clip-less, etc. and I expect it to weigh in around 22-23 lbs.! I'm not a WW but I may become one! :-)

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by keltnera
    Purchased 09 X-Cal in July 09. Frame cracked two weeks ago just above the weld where the top tube meets the seat tube. The crack was pretty significant...went nearly half way around the tube. Took it to my local GF dealer and they filed a claim for me. Was supposed to hear back the same day. After not hearing anything for two days I called the bike shop and they called again for me. 5 minutes later they called back with bad new/good news. I asked for the bad news first....they were completely out of aluminum frames and I would get a new signature series frame sometime in August. This was bad news because I wanted a GF frame and I ride several times a week and really didn't want to wait until August. The good news was that GF/Trek was willing to send me a Superfly frame immediately. I'm pretty hard on a bike so I'm not too sure that a carbon frame is the best for me but I figure this will be an inexpensive way to try one out. 3 days later the Superfly frame arrived (last week) and the bike shop called me 3 days ago (Friday) to let me know that the bike was ready. Unfortunately, I'm out of town and can't pick it up until this next Friday. The swapping of parts, hydraulic brake work, new pads, cleaning, etc. cost $200. Bottom line is GF/Trek honored their warranty without questions and in my opinion, went above and beyond to make me happy without me asking. They very easily could have made me wait until August but offered me a faster solution. Hope I don't screw up this new carbon frame but I can't wait to ride it this next weekend! I have a nice Blackspire 1X9 setup, tubeless, clip-less, etc. and I expect it to weigh in around 22-23 lbs.! I'm not a WW but I may become one! :-)
    You know, I'd say that's a big win for you. I kinda hope my x-cal breaks now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Love my x-cal

I loved my X-Cal...I had it exactly how I wanted it. I really liked the look, too...the red and white frame...kind of old school. That being said, the Superfly has the same G2 geometry and I know I'm getting something much lighter and more valuable. I will just be nervous about crashing and exposing the carbon fiber material and voiding the warranty. I hear Gary Fisher is more particular about replacing carbon frames than they are aluminum frames.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    i have to say...this thread is not very assuring lol. one after another people are trying to attest for gary fisher bikes and then give stories of how their frame cracked. yikes! i'm hoping that 2011 trek 29ers from the "gary fisher collection" are as durable as the treks themselves. i've pre-ordered a trek cobia 2011 with an aluminum frame. threads like these make me nervous. i'm hoping that the latest trek will not have this defect and that the aluminum frame will not have the issues that the carbon superflys do. clearly all this seems to be a manufacturing defect - hopefully they've figured out the design flaw.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Letter I sent to TREK!

TREK has helped me with my issue and I am pleased.
    Last edited by Redrider29er; 08-04-2010 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Issue was resolved.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by keltnera
    The swapping of parts, hydraulic brake work, new pads, cleaning, etc. cost $200.
    did you have to pay for this? i wouldn't be so mad if i got a carbon frame upgrade but if i didn't i'd be unhappy about paying $200 for labor that trek should cover.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    by the way, i spoke to trek yesterday. they said that the 2011 gary fisher collection does not have the extra gusset near the seat tube because it has been re-engineered and no longer needs it. the extra gusset was just an interim fix.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    If you are able to locate a new GF or Trek out there in another state the bike shop cannot ship it to you if you purchase the bike over the phone or by internet. Someone has to physically go to the store for you, make the purchase and then have the bike shipped. Have been trying for weeks, no one will sell and ship by a simple phone or internet purchase.

Many of the really good deals are in So Cal, but, because of Trek's policy, they cannot ship!! Kind of a bummer for those of us who are not local and cannot take advantage of these sales.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast