mtbr member
    Jan 2007

What replacement hub would you recommend for 2010 Bonty RXL wheel rebuild?

My rear hub on my 2010 Superfly 100 wheel has issues and needs to be replaced. I decided to rebuild the wheel with a new hub. Its at the bike shop now and I am considering an XTR hub. I asked about the Hope Pro Evo II but they thought that wouldn't be compatible with centerlock brakes.

So if you have an idea what hub would work best. My focus is not spending a ton of money (i.e. DT Swiss) but keeping weight low and having something that will be bullet proof.

mtbr member
    Count the spokes before you buy a new hub. My Bontrager wheels only have 28 spokes. That really limits your options.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    shop says DT swiss is only hub that will work or another bontrager hub. so $500 to put DT 240 on used wheel does not sound like good option. I could buy a hole new wheel set for that from Stans

Fat-tired Roadie
    Honestly, when a hub goes, the most economical choice is almost always just a new wheel.

I have swapped a hub. It worked out okay. I was out of work at the time, to give you an indication of the degree of penny-pinching that I was committed to. The diameters of the hole patterns in the flanges between the old and new hub were a match. If you don't have that, be prepared to buy new spokes. Obviously you also need a match between your current spoke count and the new hub.

For centerlock, you could look at Shimano's hubs. If one of them happens to have the right hole pattern diameter and spoke count, you can probably substitute it.

For me, building a wheel usually takes several hours. I like to do it over a couple days.

Or you could just buy a new wheel. This time, get one that has name-brand everything, with maintenance parts (freehub, for example) available.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx