mtbr member
    Oct 2005

New question here. What is the correct headset for a Fisher Superfly (Carbon)..!?

I run Chris King's in all my bikes with out any troubles for many years, but now I'm running a cane creek or something on the superfly and is total nightmare (I don't know if is the Maverick fork or the headset)

In any case I'm looking for a high end headset but I just don't know the "Part number" (type) on headset I need.

Thanks in advance

Ps: I really love this bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    It is likely the double crown fork. I've been running cane creeks on various bikes for year with no problems. I believe you need an IS41 standard headset. You could try a Cane Creek 110 if you are intent on spending Chris King type of money. A Cane Creek 40 would likely work well too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kdiddy View Post
    It is likely the double crown fork. I've been running cane creeks on various bikes for year with no problems. I believe you need an IS41 standard headset. You could try a Cane Creek 110 if you are intent on spending Chris King type of money. A Cane Creek 40 would likely work well too.
    Thanks senor Kdiddy for the great response..

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    After a "Little" jump this afternoon the upper race of the headset when Kaboom, so now I need the headset more than ever, I just need to make sure the 110 or the 41 will fit on the bike before I order them (Even the Trek shop in town did not have them)

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Ask your local trek shop to log into dexter (dealer site with super detailed tech specs) and give you all the info from the stock headset. That should give you enough to figure out the appropriate upgrade.
    Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I recently looked on Trek's site and it calls out a Cane Creek ZS 6. This implies that the frame has aluminum cups pressed into it. I know the new SF's just have the bearing sit directly in the frame like the carbon rode bikes, but the older ones may have the cups. If you installed the fork, then ask if it had metal cups in the frame or did the bearings just sit right on the carbon? If no cups - it's an IS, if there are cups then it's a ZS. The bearings are the same between the two, but the crown race and the top cover may be different. If you only need the bearings you would be safe to order a ZS headset.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kdiddy View Post
    I recently looked on Trek's site and it calls out a Cane Creek ZS 6. This implies that the frame has aluminum cups pressed into it. I know the new SF's just have the bearing sit directly in the frame like the carbon road bikes, but the older ones may have the cups. If you installed the fork, then ask if it had metal cups in the frame or did the bearings just sit right on the carbon? If no cups - it's an IS, if there are cups then it's a ZS. The bearings are the same between the two, but the crown race and the top cover may be different. If you only need the bearings you would be safe to order a ZS headset.

Thanks for the great response, The frame is a ZS with aluminum cups pressed into the headtube (I don't think I will like it any other way..)

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Loosely related question....

I'm riding a 2010 HiFi and just purchased a used 2010 Superfly 100 frame, no headset.

Does anyone know if the headset components are identical and I can swap over?

(I know I need a new BB for the swap, I'm hoping everything else will bolt up.)

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The top cover (bearing cover) of your headset may not fit quite right (outside diameter too big), and if there is a bearing seal on your crown race - that my be too big as well. The bearings should drop right in to the frame with no cups.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks kdiddy.... Glad the bearings will drop in. Seems like the top cover should be inexpensive enough from the Trek dealer. Thanks for the help.

metrotuned WoS
    Question on the ZS-6 headset Zero Stack (re: Superfly 2009). Know what crown race fits? I imagine it's wider than your standard 1-1/8" 30.0 crown race since it's the 44mm headtube size. I'm trying to use a new fork and want a new crown race go with it to fit the factory ZS-6 headset. At the same time, looking to even pick up a Cane Creek 40 series, Hope, Arcos or Chris King inset headset.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout