mtbr member
    Mar 2010

What is the best headset?..

I am looking for the best headset for my bike..any recommendations?...any ones to stay away from?..i heard about ceramic headset?...good or bad?...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    You can spend a bunch and get a headset that works really well (Chris King, High end Cane Creek, etc..) or you can spend 30 bucks or so and get a headset that works really well. I run a bunch of Cane Creek S3's and have really good luck with them.

I like Cake.
    Jun 2004
    Yeah, a $30 "A Head Set' or Cane Creek S3 will work just fine. Save your big money for the really important stuff... like carbon fiber spoke nipples.

Double-metric mtb man
    If you're riding a lot (and I mean a lot) you'll be able to feel the subtle differences between Deore and XT, or an Aheadset and a King. For most folks, the expensive ones (Kings, Crane 110's, etc) are more for bling than feel. Of course, if looked after, many of the expensive ones will outlast your bike.

So, if you're going to ride tons and plan on keeping your bike a loooooong time, maybe you will consider splurging....otherwise, and 'set will do ya.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

WNC Native
    I personally will only use Cane Creek,they are superior over King IMO.

Just pick how much you want to spend, then pick S3, S8, or 110.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

headset

Hey guys thanks for all the advice..i was given a slightly used mismatched Chris King Headset..it was less than a yr old and hardly ever used..so i ordered a few parts and for 27.50..i have a new headset..thanks again John...hey what do you all think of Marzocchi forks..i am getting to replace my fork..i am thinking a 44 micro ti..or a 44tst2 air..

Plastic homer
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky
    I personally will only use Cane Creek,they are superior over King IMO.

Just pick how much you want to spend, then pick S3, S8, or 110.
    Yup - 110 for me. Put one on my Fly SS when building - then put one on the geared version too. Best headset going. Creak-free, smooth, zero hassles.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Well I have been using a Chris King nothreadset for 3 years and it's still like new plus it's really smooth