Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Well I just got a 03 Paragon off Ebay

I just won a auction on Ebay for a 2003 Paragon. I hope I don't end up with a cracked frame but I think I got a good deal. I am about 75 miles from it so I don't have to pay shipping for it. The only problem supposed to be the rear break needs to be bled I am sure it could be bad but I was going to change the brakes out anyways. Plan to pick it up tomorrow I hope and will post some pics when I get her all cleaned up.

Eddie
    Last edited by Edward78; 07-22-2013 at 03:39 PM.

noob
    at least you didnt spend close to $200 on shipping for that bike.
    2007 Fisher Rig
    2011 Trek Paragon
    2013 Trek Madone 2.1

mtbr member
    The shipping was crazy on this thing but it helped me by keeping the bids down. I did not get a killer deal on the bike but I did get a good one. The bike was not ridden very much by the look of the original tires and they have not dry rot in them so the bike was stored inside most of its life. No fade in the paint or rust and the bike shifts like a dream. I bled the rear break and put a set of pads front and back and she is good to go. It cleaned up real nice it looks good enough to look good but not to good to where I would feel bad when I scratch it up on the trails. I just need to decide on a set of wheels and tires and she will be good to go but will run the stock tires for now but not long .

Eddie

mtbr member
    It's the '05's to '09's in particular that were famous for cracking, mostly at the top tube seat tube junction. I bet that bike will be fine.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    I think it was the first few years on the Genesis 2 Geometry frames that cracked. This is the G1 frame so I hope it holds up

Eddie

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward78 View Post
    The shipping was crazy on this thing but it helped me by keeping the bids down. I did not get a killer deal on the bike but I did get a good one. The bike was not ridden very much by the look of the original tires and they have not dry rot in them so the bike was stored inside most of its life. No fade in the paint or rust and the bike shifts like a dream. I bled the rear break and put a set of pads front and back and she is good to go. It cleaned up real nice it looks good enough to look good but not to good to where I would feel bad when I scratch it up on the trails. I just need to decide on a set of wheels and tires and she will be good to go but will run the stock tires for now but not long .

Eddie
    Change the oil in that shock. The one that came on my ebay sugar 29er had never been changed, rode like crap, and looked like crap when I did change it. I ended up buying a new fork but still use the old bomber on my beater bike and the oil change certainly helped.

mtbr member
    Yeah this one has probably never been changed as well. Will do thanks allot

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by canker View Post
    Change the oil in that shock. The one that came on my ebay sugar 29er had never been changed, rode like crap, and looked like crap when I did change it. I ended up buying a new fork but still use the old bomber on my beater bike and the oil change certainly helped.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    How has your bike held up so far? I just found the same old bike and am considering it.

Just Ride!
    I have this same frame with the 2002 Supercaliber paint scheme and it is still going strong. In fact, I just logged 1,793 miles in 2012 with it. The original Genesis frames are very durable, yet resilient and offer quite a smooth ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Well I just got a 03 Paragon off Ebay-taitsville.jpg  

Just Ride!
    So how are you liking your Paragon so far? Any reports and pictures for us?

mtbr member
    I have put allot of miles on her lately and it has held up very well. Feels good and rides nice. Not to many hard rides yet but am very happy with it so far.

mtbr member
    I know I a little late on posting pics but here are some. Finally put some new tires on here yesterday. I should not have gotten them so wide. I do like them but it so close to rubbing as you can see in the first pic

mtbr member
    That's a good looking ride. I agree you might want to look for a little smaller tire.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hi Edward,
    It is very beautiful. How much money do you have to spend to be the owner of that bike?

mtbr member
    I got the bike on Ebay last year and only paid $175 for it he had it listed for $200 chipping but I lived about 75 miles from him so I just went and picked it up. The high shipping and poor description of the bike kept the price down I think. I am very happy with for sure.

Eddie

mtbr member
    Just put a diferent set of tires on my Paragon and a new set of brakes and rotors the old magura julie still worked but they were very out dated. I istalled a set of Schwalbe Nobby Nics 2.25" front and back. I also found a set of new old stock Juicy Carbons for her as well. Put a set of Avid G3 Clean Sweep rotors 160 r 185 f. Cant wait to get out on the trail to see how much diference there is with the brakes but have already put a few miles on the tires and am very pleased with them. The Vee-Rubber Speed R were very god tires but they where just to wide for the frame I put them on my 11 Rig and they are a big improvment over the Bontrager that came on it.

Eddie

2011 Trek GF Rig SS
    2003 Gary Fisher Paragon 29
    2001 Giant XTC SE 2

The Fastest of Bananas
    Looks nice. I just got me an 01 for 100 buck. It was a mess.

However it was low miles and all it needed was some bearings and a chain, and tires.

How is that rear disk adapter? I just ordered on off ebay.

What size tires are those? I am assuming 2.1?

mtbr member
    The tires are 2.25 and they fit good I couldnt go any bigger I know that. The disc brake adapter works real good no problems with it at all. I love the bike and dont plan to replace it as my trail bike until it brakes in half or something like that

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by FastBanana View Post
    Looks nice. I just got me an 01 for 100 buck. It was a mess.

However it was low miles and all it needed was some bearings and a chain, and tires.

How is that rear disk adapter? I just ordered on off ebay.

What size tires are those? I am assuming 2.1?
    Eddie

2011 Trek GF Rig SS
    2001 Giant XTC SE 2

The Fastest of Bananas
    thanks for the quick response man

I dont plan on getting rid of mine til it breaks either. however, it wont be my primary bike. The trails I ride can be a little too rough, cuz I am setting this up as a dedicated XC bike

80mm fork, 1300 gram wheelset. I should stay under the $300 mark too.

The Fastest of Bananas
    What length fork is that? it looks like a 100mm.

mtbr member
    Its a 80mm fork as well

Eddie
    Eddie

2011 Trek GF Rig SS
    2001 Giant XTC SE 2

Just Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBanana View Post
    80mm fork, 1300 gram wheelset. I should stay under the $300 mark too.
    Wow, did you already have these wheels? I would love to find a light wheelset at a reasonable price. My guess is that my 36 hole XT disc wheelset is very near double that weight.

mtbr member
    I am on the east coastand the trails are not that rocky and rough around these parts as they are out your way. All my bikes are Hardtails
    Eddie

2011 Trek GF Rig SS
    2001 Giant XTC SE 2

The Fastest of Bananas
    Well I just got a 03 Paragon off Ebay-imag0040%5B1%5D.jpg
    Well I just got a 03 Paragon off Ebay-imag0041%5B1%5D.jpg
    Well I just got a 03 Paragon off Ebay-imag0042%5B1%5D.jpg
    All mine are too. Everyone I ride with is on 29'ers. Most are full sus 29ers.

And I didn't have those, I scored them super cheap on the craigslist.

mtbr member
    Your bike is very nice and I get all my Bikes on Craigslist as well. My 03 Paragon was the olnly bike I got on Ebay.
    Eddie

2011 Trek GF Rig SS
    2001 Giant XTC SE 2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast