mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Warranty Changes

Just a heads up to everybody, Trek/Fisher warranty will be changing this fall. There will still be a Limited Lifetime warranty as always. 3 years on Scratch, Session, and Ticket, 2 years on full suspension swingarms, and Bontrager components will change from 5 years to 2 years.

mtbr member
    I just purchased a 2010 Super Fly 100 and lets say I need to warranty the frame after the 2011's are released ,will I then be the subject to the same warranty's as the 2011's because I had to warranty the frame during that time or will they base the warranty off of my original purchase date? Would Trek/Fisher send me a letter stating that they will only warranty my frame if I agree to the 2011 warranty rules from there on out?

Jason.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Interesting.
    In 2009 Kona went to lifetime with their XC and 'back country' full squish bikes.

There have been quite a lot of reports on this board of broken swingarms. If the solution is to stop replacing them I doubt that's going to enhance Fisher's rep or their sales.

mtbr member
    The change in limited warranty on swing arms is very interesting, though not out of line with many other manufacturers.

Is dang happy!
    The bean counters probably figured out how much it was costing the company to replace them all.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

WNC Native
    Jasontech- You could email Fisher direct with that question, I'd like to hear their answer myself.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky
    Jasontech- You could email Fisher direct with that question, I'd like to hear their answer myself.

I just did that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hey everyone, I've posted a reply to this in the Trek forum

It includes an actual copy of the policy disclaimer that all Trek/Gary Fisher dealers received.

As you can tell by reading the revised Trek/Gary Fisher policy, this in effect for 2011 and future models.

WNC Native
    Thanks LeStrong, Still doesn't completely answer Jason's question though. I'm assuming that a 2010 bike will receive replacement swingarms under warranty for the lifetime of the bike to the original owner. But until it is answered from Trek/Fisher there could be some fine print somewhere.

I have a 2010 Rumblefish on Layaway, hence my interest in the answer.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    I emailed bontrager with is trek. I'll post the answer as soon as I get one. I would think the warranty is based off of the serial number not date of purchase.

mtbr member
    So if they replaced a broken 2010 with a 2011 frame are you on the new warranty plan? What if just the swing arm is replaced on your 2010, are you on the 2010 plan for any future swing arms?

I haven't seen many posts about cracks on the 2010's though. Are they better in this regard? Did it have anything to do with ditching the carbon stays on the HiFi's, in favor of all AL frames?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by picassomoon
    I haven't seen many posts about cracks on the 2010's though.
    2010 SF100's are breaking swing arms at the chainstay bridge and I guess this warrnaty change is a concern to anyone who has bought one.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I meant the aluminum bikes, HiFi's in particular I guess.

mtbr member
    I just got off of the phone with Trek Inside Tech Department and they said when they saw the bridge breaks they stopped production and fixed is the problem by adding more material to that area. I called them because I am getting a horrible creaking noise out of the rear end on my SF 100 and they said i needed the rebuild kit for my free-hub so my LBS is getting that taken care of. I also have a new main frame being built because I have a top-tube carbon separation. I must say they take care of products. very good Customer Service.

mtbr member
    From Trek:

Hello Jason,

Thanks for writing. Hope you are enjoying the bike so far. As you have purchased the bike under this warranty, any future replacement would then fall under this current warranty condition in which you purchased your bike. I do want to mention and can't stress enough how important it is for you to hold onto your original proof of purchase and owner's manual, as it will have any warranty policies outlined for you.

Thanks,

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasontech
    As you have purchased the bike under this warranty, any future replacement would then fall under this current warranty condition in which you purchased your bike.
    Cool, then glad my LBS found me a 2010 instead of me waiting on a 2011 then!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Hmmm, I wonder what that will do for sales. A high dollar fissure frame with a short warranty- where do I sign up?

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by wyosam
    Hmmm, I wonder what that will do for sales. A high dollar fissure frame with a short warranty- where do I sign up?

Don't think it will affect sales......most of the bikes that fail.......are doing so well within the 1st 2 years.

My '08 Paragon didn't last 18 months........had 2 others that failed within 6 months.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej
    Don't think it will affect sales......most of the bikes that fail.......are doing so well within the 1st 2 years.

My '08 Paragon didn't last 18 months........had 2 others that failed within 6 months.
    The cost and availability was why I went elsewhere when I picked up my full squish.
    The warranty on my Kona is better than what Fisher has proposed to go to.

jsg
    desk jockey
    The proper solution here is not for them to continue replacing swingarms 2 and 3 times, but to design the bikes with an adequate amount of material to survive ordinary off road riding.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jsg
    The proper solution here is not for them to continue replacing swingarms 2 and 3 times, but to design the bikes with an adequate amount of material to survive ordinary off road riding.
    Agreed but in a weight weenie world where people are trying to cut their bolt heads in half and paying for Ti bolts and the like shaving weight is going to happen.

It doesn't matter much on a pro's bike as long as it lasts since most will ride it at most a season and then ditch it when the sponser tosses the latest paintjob at them.

On a consumer item that may get kept 3-5 seasons before they upgrade IF they do wear and durability becomes a bigger factor with a lifetime warranty. I suspect more people are buying nicer bikes and actually riding them for a while rather than parking them in the garage and selling them a year or two down the line.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    So I ordered a Superfly 100. Turns out it is suppose to arrive in July, but Trek/Fisher is holding all SF100's right now. They say this should not effect my delivery time and that the hold up is due to "a redesign to correct some known issues." This is after their above mentioned redesigned swing arms.

Makes me wonder if they are making changes for 2011, and they need/want to get at least one batch out as 2010's with lifetime warranty's so they can make sure their fixes work in the field before releasing them as a 2011 under the new, FAR WEAKER warranty.

As long as mine comes in with the 2010 warranty, I don't care what color it is or what parts it has on it (except I want the RLC fork the 2010 came with, see below). If they try to stick me with a 2011 warranty by releasing them early.....I am not sure I will accept the weaker warranty. Of course now I see the 2011's are already on Fishers website......not looking good to get a 2010 warranty.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...erfly100elite/

It looks for the photo's as though the head-tube has been redesigned, note the edges top and bottom. All the 2010's I have seen are smooth in this area. Hmmm. And for 2011 you can get a SF100 with an RLC (elite) for or an RL.
    Last edited by Duc Hunter; 06-16-2010 at 11:17 AM.