mtbr member
    Jan 2009

used Superfly HT..worth it?

Regardless of price and wear, is a used SUPERFLY 2009 worth the risk?

The frame is new'ish and being sold as a frame + fork + wheels combo. There is no warentee for the second buyer - or the original owner - this has me worried!

What's the deal with 09 HT Superfly's....was there one bad batch?

THANKS for any info....cheers

mtbr member
    Would stay away. I wouldn't buy a carbon bike unless I got a warranty with it. Much easier to inspect a metal frame.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

AZ
    banned
    The 09/10 S.F. have had a myriad of problems including problems with the dropouts . FWIW , I would never buy one without a warranty .

mtbr member
    Run Forest... RUN!!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasontech
    Run Forest... RUN!!!!!
    LOL
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

mtbr member
    I couldn't help myself....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    The 09/10 S.F. have had a myriad of problems including problems with the dropouts . FWIW , I would never buy one without a warranty .
    Could you expand on this? I rode a '08, '09 and have a '10 along with the '10 SS. Just curious what the myriad really consists of......
    "To finish first, you must first finish"

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    If bike doesn't have a warranty I would ask for a very substantial discount. If you look hard enough you can actually find a Superfly for $2,000-$2,500 with warranty. So if you want to buy the bike I would be asking for several less than the aforementioned price. Just drop buy the Gary Fisher forum and you'll see exactly what everyone is talking about. But basically it boils down to this Trek/Gary Fisher have had problems with carbon on the current Superfly 100 and the Superfly :the frames seem to be breaking.

Some people have been able to ride their Superfly and Superfly 100 bikes without any problems and others haven't been so fortunate. Trek seems to be covering most people with warranty problems on their (new) bikes, unfortunately there have been few isolated reports of people reporting issues with their Superfly and Trek giving the end user the bird.

Now if you buy this thing used maybe the frame will be ok and last 15 years or it could break in a few rides. Although this is just a guess on my part the carbon frame failures appear to occur within the first few months of owning the bike. The failures seem to be somewhat immediate so I would guess that if someone has had their Superfly for a year and has done alot of riding it's probably not going to fail. That doesn't mean that your frame won't fail but I think it's less likely.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/651138/

This is the pinkbike ad....and I have inquired to the seller about a deal inspection...really unfortunate about this carbon problem with GF...I enjoy there bikes so much.

Thanks for the replies guys.....LC(cheers)