mtbr member
    Jun 2006

upgrading my 05 cake 3 dlx

other than new crank set, pedals and tires the bike is still the same from when I picked it up. I want to upgrade the bike to XT components and use all the old stuff to put on a custom carbon HT frame I got on the cheap.
    Wanted to know if there were any good kits that work well for the frame that would set me up more for an AM more aggressive XC. I mostly ride 4-6 mile AM loops with the occasional 16-25 mile ride.

Double-metric mtb man
    I've got an '06 2 DLX that I'm running XT shifters and derailleurs on (XTR cables). The 2 DLX and 3 DLX frames are basically the same (other than the pain and the components that were put on them).

Even as a clyde class rider, I find that the Fox Float fork that is on my 2 DLX is a great and handles my riding well (XC, trail and light AM type stuff). I put on a hand-built, 32 hole wheelset (Mavic 819's laced into Hope Pro II hubs) that will take more abuse. Wider bars may help, as may a different stem.

There are lots of things you can do to make the Cake better for AM use...but just don't forget that the geometry is more long-travel XC than what a typical AM bike is these days.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    What would you guys suggest for a new rear shock for the Cake 3 DLX? my Manitou one is wearing out and i want one that is much better for all mountain than XC

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    We managed, here in 2012, to just buy a 2005 Cake 3 gs WSD BRAND NEW for my wife! I've never seen her so excited about biking. $800 for the bike, by the way. now it's my bike's turn to be on the outside of the bikerack. (most irreplaceable closest to the car. you have to have these rules when you have a bike rack as awful as ours.)