mtbr member

Upgrading an 04 marlin

Ok I have been using the search function and haven't found what I'm looking for.

I have a 04 marlin and am trying to get info on upgrading. What is the first thing I should upgrade? I do mostly dirt riding . Any help would be great!

Heres a pic

---
    - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Upgrading an 04 marlin-imageuploadedbytapatalk1314112037.347838.jpg  

mtbr member
    Bump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I have an '04 Marlin. It's retired now, but I rode it for four years. You could look at contact points, pedals, saddle, grips if what's on there isn't comfortable for you. Otherwise, unless something is broken, I'd just ride it the way it is. It's a decent bike stock, and any real money put into "upgrades" would be better put towards a new bike imo. Besides, upgrades have a snowball effect, especially on slightly older bikes. For instance, say you wanted to upgrade the fork to a nice new Fox, or a RS Reba, etc. I don't think they come with V brake mounts anymore, so you need disk brakes. But the wheels aren't disk compatible,so you need new wheels. And so it goes......
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have an 06 Marlin that I love. The genesis geometry and light weight have made it great. I dont know what fork you have on there but I had the manitou axel and when it gave up the ghost I got a Rockshox tora tk with the posts for the canitlever brakes. its a little lighter, and a lot stronger and has made a big difference.

If your brakes are original or a few years old, get new pads, clean the rims really well and adjust the cables and you will be amazed.

If you can get the right tire setup for the kind of conditions and trails you like to ride it will make a huge difference too. It made me much more confident and changed the way I enjoy my favorite trails.

The marlin is a great bike and you dont need to scrap it and buy a new one or spend tons of money on upgrades. If you get everything super cleaned, adjusted and setup correctly then you can spend a little bit on a few choice upgrades and have a great performing hardtail for much much less than a new bike of similar quality.

Warrior's Society
    The bike looks too small for you, considering the seat is pushed all the way back in the seatpost, and the long stem.

The bike is 7 years old at this point.

You may consider saving up a bit more and buying a new bike. Upgrading things like fork and brakes will really start driving the cost up......almost to the point where you could get a new bike for not much more.

Just my $.02
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the opinions. Yea I moved my seatpost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk