mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Trek/Fisher Marlin or Mamba?

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to biking and mtbr forums and would first like to say that I've already learned a lot from reading your postings. Great stuff!

I'm an avid tennis player who recently took up biking and trail riding as a cross-training alternative. I could use a new bike and recently demo'ed two Trek/Fisher models -- the 29er Marlin and Mamba. I was wondering if you believe the cost difference is worth the value (almost 50% more for the Mamba, $880 vs $600 for the Marlin).

Also, are bike prices generally negotiable? If so, how much should I pay for these bikes?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I also recently have taken up biking and looked at the same two bikes. Both are nice but I ended up going with the Marlin. Its a very nice bike so far, I'm glad I got it. I don't know if there is a whole lot of difference in the 2 other than the price being the major one, but that was one of major parts of my decison being a beginner.

Good luck, I think you will like either of them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks Kingpin19 for your feedback. Glad to hear you're enjoying your Marlin!

I was just wondering if you can provide any feedback as to a fair price I should pay for this bike. Did you get a lower price than retail ($600)?

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    It looks like the main difference between the two bikes is the suspension fork. I would expect the Tora on the Mamba to be smoother and less flexy than the Suntour fork on the Marlin, meaning the Tora should negotiate terrain better and have better performance through turns. So you need to ask yourself whether you want the nicer fork or the cheaper fork. Whichever way you go, you'll be getting a fun bike.
    2011 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Rig
    2007 Gary Fisher HKEK

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    No problem. No I paid $600 for mine.

mtbr member
    I paid $550 for my Marlin a couple of months ago. I like the bike but the front fork is crap. The right side of the fork came apart (dust scraper & plastic insert) less than a mile in on the first ride.....I temp fixed it with a stick. This past weekend, the other side came apart. I am going to have the LBS order a fork that is worth a crap as soon as I can make it by there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Hi guys, thanks again for this valuable information. I see how helpful it is to join this post and learn before I plunge into a purchase.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Also the brakes are bb5's instead of tektro novela mech. brakes. Also better hubs, crank rd is x5 instead of x4 on the marlin. Overall its worth the purchase only bc I have marlin wish I gotten the mamba or Scott scale. Plus it took month and a half for suntour to send out the replacement pieces for the shocks as well.

banned
    Apr 2009
    2 years ago I was in the same situation almost--should I buy the Piranha or Mamba (which was a new 29er).. I looked at the Marlin then read the threads and said it's alot better to go with Piranha for the fork and disk brakes.. Then I did more reading and decided to go with a 29er and build one myself (to get every part I wanted) and GLAD I went with a 29er.. Here is my Paragon, used frame so no warranty, and if it breaks I will have to buy a Niner frame (I guess).--because I ride some pretty nasty stff!!! But I wish Fisher just sold frames (with a warranty)---went off topic a little... BUT I was 5'10'' and 250 pounds and am GLAD I went with the 29er.-- I think anyone 5'10 or taller should ride one...... Here is my finished build, bought nerw parts since my first build---Biggest improvement I did was the new Reba with a 46mm offset instead of the old one I had that was a 38mm offset.. The new Paragon's us a 51mm offset...
    Last edited by 247; 05-16-2012 at 06:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Just checking in on those who did purchase the Marlin. How is it holding up? Im considering a Marlin after being told to stay away from the Wahoo...

mtbr member
    I bought a 2011 Marlin a few months ago. It's my first mountain bike but has been great to me so far. I take it out on the trails every weekend (6 to 10 miles) and ride around the neighborhood during the week a few times. I haven't had a single issue yet, and all I've done to take care of it was dust it off a few times and I wipe down the struts every time I ride. I don't even know what to do to upgrade it yet! lol (I just can't leave anything alone)

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Shimano Altus

I would like to know whyGary Fisher used the Shimano Altus on there Mamba if as the posts state 'it is crap'?

I bought a Mamba and it is ok

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    My Gary Fisher Mamba is 4 sale at 200.00
    call Rick at 310-202-8242 or 424-646-0433

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Any complaints on the Mambas?

singletrak junkie
    still love my mamba, just wish I undeerstood how to adjust the front forks better, its a 2011 Did you decide yet ?
    "do it in the dirt "