mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Tire Size Dilemma!

Hey all, I have a 1998 GF HKeK. The tires are looking to be replaced soon and I am wondering what size I should use. Currently I am running the spec'd WTB veloceraptors(sp) 26x 1.95. I was thinking of maybe putting a little fatter tire on there. I test fit a 26x2.1 and it fit without rubbing, but I'm not sure if I would really gain any advantage with the fatter tire. What are your thoughts.
    Oh and here is a pic of the lovely steed.
    Just remember,Where ever you go there you are...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kitts21j View Post
    Hey all, I have a 1998 GF HKeK.
    Nice looking bike. Clearly you maintain it well. Thanks for including the photo.

Currently I am running the spec'd WTB veloceraptors(sp) 26x 1.95. I was thinking of maybe putting a little fatter tire on there. I test fit a 26x2.1 and it fit without rubbing, but I'm not sure if I would really gain any advantage with the fatter tire. What are your thoughts.
    I recently fit some 1.9" Bontrager XR-1s to my El Mariachi. I use it for double-track and gravel-road riding, and I also ride pavement to get the gravel, so I went with thinner, fast-rolling tires having minimal tread. They are great tires for smooth hardpack and work pretty ok on pavement. The tradeoff is that whenever I hit rooty sections, then worry about pinch flats is in the back of my mind.

On singletrack, I like to be above two inches, and with greater air volume.

Warrior's Society
    Seeing as though 2.1 are kind of the industry standard for minimum size....your choices for 1.9/1.95 tires may be limited.

There are soooooooo many better tires these days than those old Velociraptors. You will wonder why you didn't swap then out sooner.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    There are soooooooo many better tires these days than those old Velociraptors. You will wonder why you didn't swap then out sooner.
    LOL. First thing I did on my '97 Paragon when I bought it new!