WNC Native

Time for G2 SS Bike- Rig or Paragon with Rennen???

Okay, here is my question to all you Rig owners at or over 200 lbs. How much of an issue (if any) is there with the Rig EBB slipping? If you had it to do over again, would you go Rig or one of the other frames with a Rennen Tensioner?

I'm wanting a reliable, non headache SS bike. I'm going to run 20T cog probably 95% of the time. May run an 18T or 22T every once in a while. I like the idea of not having to adjust the saddle due to switching gears with the tensioner.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Mine hasn't slipped once yet. Just over a year on a 2008 Rig. 210lbs right now.

I don't like tensioners at all so I'd defintely do the Rig all over again. If you're stuck on the Paragon, I'd go with a cheaper version like the X-Caliber since you'll be pulling many of the parts off of it anyway...then build up an ENO eccentric rear wheel or go with the Forward Components EBB.

Re-reading that last paragraph, it seems like a lot of work to essentialy end up with a Rig...I'd just get a Rig.

WNC Native
    Nater- Any creaking issues?
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Not so far from the EBB.

The seatpost has creaked a fair bit though.

mtbr member
    I'm running my Paragon with a Surly tensioner right now and it works perfectly. I've only had one bike with an EBB and it worked fine but I would still rather do without one. Just something else to maintain IMO. Best set up that I have used was the sliding style dropouts that come on the Monocog Flight.

Expert Crasher
    Apr 2009
    I've had an 08 rig for 2 summers.....EBB continued to slip, then stick, after a few fixes with the hammer I replaced it with another rig bb.....good for a few weeks, then slip slip slip, followed by a giant stick. I ordered a Carver EBB, no problems since. Upgrading the EBB on a rig is a must do as far as I am concerned.

mtbr member
    I just ordered an EBB from forward components for the SS conversion of my Paragon. If it works well I will likely just buy geared frames from here on out and have the option of easily converting them to SS when I want to using the EBB.

http://forwardcomponents.blogspot.com/

WNC Native
    Flat Ark- I ended up going with a non Fisher frame. However, I will be watching to see your thoughts on the Forward Components EBB. Let us know after you get it in and put some miles on it.