mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Thinking about a Supercaliber 29er.....

I have been planning on buying a full susp bike to replace my Trek HT. My two main targets have been the HiFi or a Specialized FSRxc. I went by my LBS yesterday to check out the HiFi's and they have a 07 Supercaliber 29er on sale for $1800 (down from 2400) that is my size. I did not get a chance to test ride it but when doing some research last night it seems like there is not a lot of info on MTBR or elsewhere about this bike. Is it a more race oriented setup? I am more of a weekend warrior putting in maybe 20 miles a week on local trails. I think a 29er would fit me pretty well (6'2", 195). The only con to this bike that I found was the low bottom bracket.

Thanks in advance for any input.

mtbr member
    Try an advanced search for "Gary Fisher Supercaliber" in the 29er forum. I'll bet you'll turn up some results there.

It was designed as a race bike, but that doesn't mean you can't be a weekend warrior and enjoy the ride. The BB is a little bit low, but I found that changing the travel on the Reba from 80 to 100mm helped this a little bit with no adverse effects on the handling.

Having ridden both, I like the HiFi better. It's a bit stiffer in the rear end and the G2 geometry makes for a nice handling bike. You likely won't find deals on a HiFi like the one you found on the Supercaliber though. If it fits you, buy it, ride it and don't regret it!

At 6'2" tall, a 29er should fit you pretty well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The supercal29 is very flexy but still handles good enough .Hifi is not as flexy and handles better . you might be able to live with a hardtail 29er they smooth the trail pretty good and you get a non flexy fame that will track great and handle great just wont be as fast over rougher terrain

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for the replies. I guess I just need to get out and ride some different bikes and see what I like. I definitely want full suspension and I think a 29er would be a plus. My main concern was that if I get the Supercal, I would be getting something that was more race and not really suited for me. I guess I will find out.

No longer 26
    Nater hit it on the head pretty well.

I am the same size as you riding a LG Supercal 29er. I use it for my weekend riding and a little mid-pack sport class racing (if you can call what I do racing...). I do not find it overly flexy like others do, although I am not using the stock rear wheel which may make a difference in feel.

I too have change to travel of the Reba fork to 100mm with no ill effect on handling. I have not ridden any other 29er FS bikes but do have a HT 29er as well. I like the FS more, much more comfort and efficiency in the bumps. I'd say go for it if it fits well. That is the most important thing with most bikes. Handling etc will come with ride time.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Greg
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

LFJ
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I really think that if this bike is your size then it is a good deal. Also just because it is a "race" bike does not mean it would not be perfect for you on weekend rides. I have ridden a supercaliber and really thought it would be the perfect bike for any occasion. The 29er wheels roll well and the suspension has just enough travel to smooth the trail out. I say go for it.

LCI #1853
    There's not a whole lot of discussion on the Calibers on MTBR... and in fact, Fisher dropped this model from the line for 2008 to make room on the assembly line for the new HiFis.

I've got one of the Caliber 29ers that I've been riding since the first of last August. Mine differs from the Supercaliber in that the SC has one step higher brakes (and hydraulic brakes, at that) and a black paint job instead of that sour-apple green.

I've been really happy with mine, using it for cross country and occasional street use. I didn't really like mountain biking ( I thought) until I upgraded to this bike. In fact, I had an opportunity to upgrade to one of the HiFis back the first of this month, but decided to stick with the Caliber. It's a good deal, on a good bike.

mtbr member
    I recently got an '07 Supercaliber 29. I like it very much and, like everyone warned me, it is hard to go back to my 26er. My prior ride was (is) an 2003 Santa Cruz Superlight, so that is my comparison. My bod is much happier on full susp. than on a hardtail. I'd say the Fisher with 29" tires and 80mm travel is equal to 26" tires and 100mm travel. My Supercal is a bit lighter than my Superlight! I agree that the Fisher is flexy, but it doesn't seen to bother me. It still climbs loose/rocky stuff better. Downhill is less jarring and more confidence inspiring. Wish rear shock had more than rebound adjust and lockout on/off, but on second thought, it does a pretty good job, and I never need to lock out the shock any ways. Pedal strikes are annoying as hell! Modding the fork travel to 100mm is a must do, also, I find it helps me to run the fr and rr sag higher, solving that problem. I'm no racer, FAR from it, but I am very comfortable on my Lg SuperCaliber 29 (6'1", 195lbs.).
    It is spec'd well, with light stuff.
    I found that the Front Derailleur had issues with mid-chainring and larger cogs. It turned out that the effective chainstay angle of this bike is 65 degrees (29" tires+really low BB height= steep CS angle). Mine came with a Fr. Derail. at 66-69deg. I swapped it for Shimano's 63-66 deg. version, and all is good now: still great shifting, and now no chain noise in 3 biggest cogs on mid ring! (I'll try to get pics of this)

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I appreciate all the replies. I ended up buying a Stumpjumper FSR. I test rode a few bikes including the Supercaliber and the Stumpy felt the best to me. I did spend more than I had planned but I felt like I got the best bike for me.