mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Superfly 100 Creaks

Anyone have any ideas on what maybe causing the creak in my new Superfly 100? It creaks under power; sounds like it is coming from one of the upper pivots. I have checked that the bolts are not loose. I also thought it maybe my chainring bolts but they are tight as well. I have checked the frame for any cracks but it looks good.

Love the bike!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    A lot of people that have had creaking in the Superfly 100 and Superfly bikes found the cause to be the rear hub. I think there have been known tolerance issues with the freehub body and Bontrager has had to warranty a ton of them. Your issue could be a lot if different things but you may want to have the shop check this first. Maybe they should have stuck with DT hubs instead of going to Formula.

mtbr member
    I had the same problem with my SF 100. Got the new hub assembly and it's fixed and it's FREE.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Both my buddy and I had a creaking noise under heavy loads. Once we had the hub's rebuilt they were fine.
    That is until I cracked my carbon top cap( never could figure out how that happened) and he had a loose pedal spindle. With any little problem and these frames the noise is amplified and hard to diagnosis.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Interestingly, the creak is gone. I did nothing to fix it except ride it some more. I did check the frame for crack etc but I found nothing. I wonder if the bike needed a little more "break in"...

mtbr member
    I would still do the warranty free-hub. The creaking will come back.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    After around 500 miles, I had some annoying creaking sounds that seemed to be getting worse. My mechanic at LBS removed, lubed & re-installed bottom bracket & sound went away...but two rides later my rear hub started skipping pawls (seemed like my rear der was trying to skip gears on me). I did not get a new hub or rear wheel, mechanic just rebuilt the hub with better bearings. I guess there are 3 bearing races in these hubs...the inner race's bearings were perfectly sheared in half. If it was from contamination, he said it would have been one of the outer bearings that failed. He put it back together with better bearings & so far about 200 trouble free miles. I have seen many other SF100's in my area & many have had their entire rear wheel replaced-they told me to go get a new one under warrantly NOW. Fisher changed their supplier for hubs from DT in '09 to something different...maybe not a good move (over $5k for a bike that didn't make it through the 1st 500 miles without a pretty serious mechanical failure-I would have been pissed if I was on a week long bike trip & that happened to me). I am not complaining about my bike, I love it, but I don't want to have to mess with this rear hub every couple hundred miles!!! If I have another problem soon, I will seriously consider a new wheelset (not sure about getting any credit ($) from LBS or Fisher to help pay for replacement though).

recovering roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by superflygrinder
    After around 500 miles, I had some annoying creaking sounds that seemed to be getting worse. My mechanic at LBS removed, lubed & re-installed bottom bracket & sound went away...but two rides later my rear hub started skipping pawls (seemed like my rear der was trying to skip gears on me). I did not get a new hub or rear wheel, mechanic just rebuilt the hub with better bearings. I guess there are 3 bearing races in these hubs...the inner race's bearings were perfectly sheared in half. If it was from contamination, he said it would have been one of the outer bearings that failed. He put it back together with better bearings & so far about 200 trouble free miles. I have seen many other SF100's in my area & many have had their entire rear wheel replaced-they told me to go get a new one under warrantly NOW. Fisher changed their supplier for hubs from DT in '09 to something different...maybe not a good move (over $5k for a bike that didn't make it through the 1st 500 miles without a pretty serious mechanical failure-I would have been pissed if I was on a week long bike trip & that happened to me). I am not complaining about my bike, I love it, but I don't want to have to mess with this rear hub every couple hundred miles!!! If I have another problem soon, I will seriously consider a new wheelset (not sure about getting any credit ($) from LBS or Fisher to help pay for replacement though).
    Easton Haven. You will be happy with those.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by superflygrinder
    Fisher changed their supplier for hubs from DT in '09 to something different...maybe not a good move
    It was Formula and it was their best option under the circumstances at the time. You already can see a switch back to DT for 26" in 2011; but this time, there's no "B" on the wheel...