mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Super Fly Frame Sizing Help

Hi,

I'm considering a Super Fly SS 29er. I'm about 5'8" with a measured 31.5" inseam. I'm leaning towards the Medium frame (17.5) but noticed that the ETT length is quite long, 602mm (23.7"). Is this frame too long for me? Should I be looking at the small?

I'm not sure how the Geo is suposed to be with a 29er

It seems the small is too small and the Medium is too large, if that makes any scense. I'm new to the SS and 29er craze, my current ride is a medium full squish Mojo SL (ETT 580mm, 22.8" with a 90mm stem) It feels ok. I moved my seat back abit and am considering a 100mm stem to be alittle more stretched out for some racing I've been getting into, if that matters.

Thanks for any help, I don't want to get involved with LBS people because I will get is differant opinions where ever I go.

It may be difficuilt to find a Med Super Fly this time of year to test drive.

Mojo

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'm leaning towards the Medium frame (17.5) but noticed that the ETT length is quite long, 602mm (23.7").
    don't worry too much about #s on a spec sheet. too many geometry variables that looking at one single variable does not always translate to reality.

Is this frame too long for me?
    no.

Should I be looking at the small?
    HELL NO.

I'm not sure how the Geo is suposed to be with a 29er
    my thinking is they have 5 sizes. the middle one, 19" is for the average height guy. i'm 5'9" and 19" fits me best. one size below 17.5" is for those who go on the small side or are a tad below average height / proportions. i will admit, it's no accident that the fishers come with big sweep handlebars which further reduce the reach to the handlebars.

It seems the small is too small and the Medium is too large
    is this based on spec sheet #s or actual back to back test rides?

I don't want to get involved with LBS people because I will get is differant opinions where ever I go.
    well, what is YOUR OPINION after a test ride? that is bar far the easiest and most reliable way to know. i know this first hand. i spent a lot of time perusing spec sheets and overthinking. a 20 minute back to back test ride gave me much more clearer & correct answers. the 17.5" immediately felt waaay too small for me despite the #s & trends of other people's sizing preferences. you'd make a huge mistake not to go to lbs. test ride, see what you think, tell the lbs people, and hear what they have to say, and ultimately decide based on your thoughts during the test ride. you can ride other bikes that have the same exact geometry like paragon, x-caliber, cobia, mamba, marlin, etc.

It may be difficuilt to find a Med Super Fly this time of year to test drive.
    it is in your area.

conclusion: do not go below a 17.5" unless you have strong reaction from the test ride. it's fashionable these days to ride a bike too small - don't do it!

mtbr member
    The G2 bikes fit smaller IMO. 17.5 is what you want.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinshield
    The G2 bikes fit smaller IMO. 17.5 is what you want.

x2. I got that feeling on Fisher test rides.

On paper a 17.5 was "the right size", on the test ride I felt more comfortable on a 19.5" bike.

If in doubt go with the larger frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Hi,

Thanks for posting this question. I am 5' 10" and was wondering what other people my height had purchased and what type of riding they use the bike for.

Without a test ride it is hard to tell from the size charts.

If people could reply with height, weight and type of riding it would help.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'10" about 150lbs with a 32" inseam. I would have used it for XC racing if I had bought it.

As it was I don't like the way G2 handles so did not end up buying the Fisher.

If you can go and test ride a GF. Doesn't have to be a SS, all the Fisher frames had the same geometry and sizing.

IMO G2 fits and rides differently to other bikes out there. Some people love it and I love and understand the theory of it. However whenever I've ridden a Fisher I did not like the handling.