mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Super Fly 100 & SC Tallboy

I'm thinking about taking the leap to the 29er world and was wondering if anyone had any experiance with both of these bikes.This is not a one vs's the other question but rather the pro's and con's from both bikes.

People of zee wurl,Relax!

I'm curious too

I currently ride a Fisher Rig and am buying a full suspension 29er and the Fisher and Tallboy are my 2 main choices. The Tallboy looks like a better deal to me. I can have a local shop build me a really nice Tallboy for around $4200 and the Fisher is awesome but around $5300. I would love the Fisher but it's $$$$$.
    Less Talk, More Rock.
    http://www.peakmtb.com

Warrior's Society
    Fisher has had some problems with rear swingarms cracking with the SF100.......talked to Santa Cruz warranty about a creak in my Tallboy......they were very very surprised....was told that they have not had any problems with the Tallboys at all. Turns out my creak was just a washer that needed a little grease.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    I haven't ridden either, but I do ride a HiFi Pro 29. I was a former Santa Cruz rider and really wanted to stick with that brand because I loved my SC. However, the stronger urge was to switch to the 29er format. SC didn't have a 29er at the time so I went for the HiFi.

I like my GF a lot, but if that Tallboy had been available at the time there is no doubt that's what I would be on. I think you will find more durability in the SC line and better attention to details. No problems to date with my HiFi and it's a great ride, but I think Santa Cruz's reputation trumps GF for refinement.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    It's funny because when i asked the LBS about frame failures they looked at me like i was crazy"I have never heard of that before".The bike is only going to be ridden cross country that's one of the reasons i was swaying towards the GF,but I'm really concerned about frame failures.I guess with the right set-up the TB would make a great XC race bike.

mtbr member
    Don't get me wrong I love my HiFi. It is a great ride and a very responsive cross country bike that handles really well. My local shop hadn't dealt with many failures either, some of the older models prior to the HiFi and they were honest about it. I finally decided with the lifetime warranty and a good local shop I was confident enough to go for the GF and I haven't regretted it for a minute.

However, there have been some warranty changes lately so you may want to look into that if you are concerned. I think the Tallboy would be great for cross country unless you are looking to race. I define cross country as some stuff others would call all-mountain though. Smooth rolling hardpack with little technical stuff would probably not be what the SC is best suited to. I like smooth flowing hardpack, long climbs with technical rocky/rooty bits on the descent, slickrock, and just a variety of stuff and I think it would be great for that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BumpityBump
    Don't get me wrong I love my HiFi. It is a great ride and a very responsive cross country bike that handles really well. My local shop hadn't dealt with many failures either, some of the older models prior to the HiFi and they were honest about it. I finally decided with the lifetime warranty and a good local shop I was confident enough to go for the GF and I haven't regretted it for a minute.

However, there have been some warranty changes lately so you may want to look into that if you are concerned. I think the Tallboy would be great for cross country unless you are looking to race. I define cross country as some stuff others would call all-mountain though. Smooth rolling hardpack with little technical stuff would probably not be what the SC is best suited to. I like smooth flowing hardpack, long climbs with technical rocky/rooty bits on the descent, slickrock, and just a variety of stuff and I think it would be great for that.
    This is going to be a race specific bike.I have another bike i ride 90% of the time when i'm not racing.

Specialized Epic... Another option

I'm looking for a bike to do some XC racing on also. The Superfly 100 is a race rocket but I was also considering buying the Specialized Epic Comp 29er for $2500 and upgrading the heck out of it. Even with awesome race wheels and some blinged out parts it would be way under $4000 and not much heavier than the Fly. The dilemma is that there are some awesome full suspension 29ers once you get to this price point.
    Less Talk, More Rock.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by trail topher
    I'm looking for a bike to do some XC racing on also. The Superfly 100 is a race rocket but I was also considering buying the Specialized Epic Comp 29er for $2500 and upgrading the heck out of it. Even with awesome race wheels and some blinged out parts it would be way under $4000 and not much heavier than the Fly. The dilemma is that there are some awesome full suspension 29ers once you get to this price point.
    I actually have all of the xx from my 26er that i was going to convert over if i made the switch.Isn't the Specialized aluminum?

It is aluminum

It's an aluminum frame but race specific and can be built to 24ish pounds with your XX. The Superfly 100 is about 24 lbs stock. Specialized sells the Epic Marathon 29er for around $6000 with XX but it's the same frame and just a slightly lighter fork. There's also the new and improved Jet 9 if you have the build kit.
    Less Talk, More Rock.