Finally Back on my Bike
    Aug 2012

Suggestions for my 1st Love - '93 Gary Fisher Aquila

I don't know about all of you but I can never get rid of my first real MTB. She's been with me so long and has given me so many memories that I'll never give her up. That being said, she lost a shifter last year and obviously I can't find new old stock replacements.

Here's the Bikepedia on my bike. BikePedia - 1993 Gary Fisher Aquila Complete Bicycle She still has her Manitou 2 forks from back in the day.

I've thought about just changing the shifters to something simple like a pair of GripShifts but I think she deserves more.

What do you think I should do? Bare in mind that I'm married and my wife will go crazy after I've already spent $2K in the last 6 months on a bike and other stuff.

J79
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have a 1995 Aquila set up as a single speed. Re-used old parts that were laying around from being left over from other bikes.

At the moment the bike is completely disassembled while being overhauled and converted to disc brakes. Will replace the headset, bottom bracket and fit left-over Avid Juicy brakes and a DT Swiss wheel set.

I modified a A2Z Discbrake adapter to fit the rear brake onto the frame.
    The fork will be replaced by a used Fox F80RLT, after fitting new seals and replacing the oil the fork should be good as new.

Using second hand parts, exept for bottom bracket and headset, and left overs, the complete costs of the overhaul will be well below € 400,-
    The advantage is that, at least here in the Netherlands, lotīs of people are getting into 29ers, so 26" parts, forks and wheels, are widely available and quite cheap.