mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Is this a Sugar 4?

Hey All,

I've always been a Specialized Rider, but saw a pretty good deal on (what the seller claims to be) a Gary Fisher Sugar 4.

I was having trouble matching it with anything on bikepedia and was hoping you Fisher enthusiests could give me a year and/or model?

What would you guess this bike would be worth if it was in decent shape and didn't need any suspension work?

Thanks,

B
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I think I finally found it. It must be a 2005.
    BikePedia - 2005 Gary Fisher Sugar 4+ Complete Bicycle

What would you estimate I should pay for this bike used?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Really 65 views and no comments??

How about, do you think this bike would be worth $350? Is that a good deal or about the going rate for a 2005 Gary Fisher Sugar 4?

p.s. The rack over the rear tire isn't staying on it, if I buy it.

Trail Prospector
    ^^^ Perhaps, 65 people are more polite / tactful than I.
    Bought a 2005 Sugar 293 (29-er) new for $1500 rode it until it broke at the shock mount, got a WR Hi-Fi rode it until the carbon stays snapped, and am now on an ALU Hi-Fi. Yes, new parts were involved each time, yet I really have had 3 bikes now thanks to the warranty replacements (WR).

For a 7 yr old 26" bike w/o discs, a history of frame failure, and old / out-dated suspension, and without a warranty, I would not even touch it. If that's your budget, a used hardtail FTW.
    Run, Forest run..
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    See that is the type of response I was looking for!

I appreciate your honesty. I'm currently riding an 09 Specialized Hardrock, but saw this post and didn't know if it would be a steal or not...

Is this a pretty common response for this bike/model? Do they really break THAT much?!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post

For a 7 yr old 26" bike w/o discs, a history of frame failure, and old / out-dated suspension, and without a warranty, I would not even touch it. If that's your budget, a used hardtail FTW.
    Run, Forest run..
    What he said..

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Gary Fisher still rides his sugar and he can ride any bike he wants, the design may be outdated ,,,,but it works , the bike kicks but in tight single track XC as intended.