mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Sugar 1 warranties

My 2002 Sugar 1 swingarm cracked in the same spot that has plagued this design. I initiated a warranty claim with my LBS. The LBS stated “Trek is going to replace with a black aluminum swingarm. We just did a warranty on another recently, and that’s what Trek does.”

I replied that this would not be an acceptable replacement for a carbon swingarm. An aluminum swingarm would be a downgrade to a Sugar 1. I purchased the Sugar 1 specifically because it was GF’s lightest FS frame. I paid a significant difference over any Sugar frame with an aluminum swingarm.

In the spring of 2010, my wife’s Sugar 3 cracked swingarm was replaced with a Trek TopFuel frame. The LBS and Trek were awesome with this warranty. I have read posts all over the internet of Sugar 1’s being warranted with either carbon arms or new frames.

At the moment, I am waiting for the LBS to “hear back from Trek”. If indeed Trek wants to replace with aluminum, I believe I this would not be acceptable.

My question is: What year was your Sugar 1 warranted and what did Trek do for you?

Warrior's Society
    I would raise hell if that is what they are trying to do. You bought the more expensive carbon frame.....warrantying it with an AL frame would be a downgrade.

Either a carbon swingarm, or upgrade the frame. Make sure you convey this to your LBS that is handling the warranty claim.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Thats not too bad. I know a lot of people would disagree with me , but on a 9 years old bike? I work in the warranty business ( not for bikes) and I see a lot of people who do some crazy things trying to get a new product or get theirs replaced. In the end you can tell if their trying to pull a quick on on you or if its legit. They look for certain things and i can tell you.. if you already had a warranty problem in the past it automatically throws up a red flag to a trek sales rep. in your case i know you probably have a legit problem.. but for the few out there trying shady things.. there is a way they can spot it. I'm sorry if that came off bad because I think you may have a real problem.. just the bike is a little old (, but like I said I work with people who have warranty claims and I go out to their house for inspection. You would not believe what some people try/do to get freebies It just drives me crazyyyy. The truth will stand on its own so you dont need to lie to push the truth. so everyone be honest!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    I agree that seems pretty fair on a 9 year old bike. I would be more than happy with that deal.

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewMiller
    Thats not too bad. I know a lot of people would disagree with me , but on a 9 years old bike? I work in the warranty business ( not for bikes) and I see a lot of people who do some crazy things trying to get a new product or get theirs replaced. In the end you can tell if their trying to pull a quick on on you or if its legit. They look for certain things and i can tell you.. if you already had a warranty problem in the past it automatically throws up a red flag to a trek sales rep. in your case i know you probably have a legit problem.. but for the few out there trying shady things.. there is a way they can spot it. I'm sorry if that came off bad because I think you may have a real problem.. just the bike is a little old (, but like I said I work with people who have warranty claims and I go out to their house for inspection. You would not believe what some people try/do to get freebies It just drives me crazyyyy. The truth will stand on its own so you dont need to lie to push the truth. so everyone be honest!!!!!!!!

Sugar frames were well documented to have frame failures....I know, mine broke after about 3 months. Fisher has always tried to push the weight issue, trying to make the frames as light as they can......and over the years, they have had lots of issues with frames failing. The scary thing to consider is that they still have swingarms for a frame that is 9 years old.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    "Sugar frames were well documented to have frame failures....I know, mine broke after about 3 months."

What was your result of your warranty?

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by ski_2_bike
    "Sugar frames were well documented to have frame failures....I know, mine broke after about 3 months."

What was your result of your warranty?

They were quick, I had a new front triangle in less than a week.

Note: when I bike mine, the frame was a current model and was only 3 months old.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    If they send you an aluminum swingarm, you can just swap swingarms and be done. Very little labor (or none if you do it yourself.) If they send you a new HiFi frame, you are going to need a new headset, bb, crankset, disc brakes (if you are currently using v), and a whole lot of labor. You will end up with a better bike but a bigger bill.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I just had a 2002 Sugar 1 swingarm warrantied. They sent a black aluminum one. The dropout spacing was all jacked up and they had to send it back. The replacement is ok, but a little heavier than the original. The Sugar 1 was a piece of crap anyway with the "Gary Fisher" geometry.