mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Stumpjumper FSR 29er Expert vs. Fisher Rumblefish II

I posted this in another forum too, so I hope I'm not breaking the rules, but I'm hoping to get opinions from a wider range of folks by doing so...

Stumpjumper FSR 29er Expert vs. Fisher Rumblefish II. I'm hoping someone who has experience (on the trail) with the two bikes can break down the differences. It'll need to be a comparison of 2010 models, as I know they both improved their frames a great deal after '09. I'm not loyal to either Trek (Fisher) or Specialized and won't ever be as I think they both have a lot to offer. But I'm thinking of getting a new bike this year and would be picking between the two (no major frame changes for either in 2011). I have ridden the '10 Stumpjumper 29er quite a bit and can say that I love it other than some vibration in the rear brake.

Specifically, five questions…

1) Which bike felt more slack? Was there a noticeable difference in the two in that aspect?

2) Brain vs. Boostvalve… Would you liken the Brain to basically 15 levels of propedal or something totally different? For example, is Propedal level 2 on the Fisher’s RP23 equal to the Brain halfway on?

3) Rear end stiffness comparison?

4) Ground clearance?

5) Did the 110mm rear travel on the Rumblefish actually feel just as deep as the 130mm rear travel on the Stumpy because of the boostvalve?

thanks…
    Last edited by pdumas; 07-30-2010 at 02:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Did you get either bike? I'm in the same boat right now.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Rumblefish I

I tried the 09's pretty extensively and purchased a Rumblefish. Here are my impressions:
    -The stumpy frame has you sit more upright (typical of Spec.), you weight seems to be right in the middle of the bike, but with a higher center of gravity. You can shift you weight very well forward to back, but going up hill the front tire wants to lift and you lose traction, and going downhill you always fill real close to going over the handlebars. The Fish makes you fill "in" you bike, much lower making the downhills easier and the uphills better (PERSONAL OPINION).
    -I don't go off any major jumps on the Fish, but the 4-5ft drops I have done haven't come close to bottoming and the rear suspension feels very plush. Despite the plushness, I have felt no bob while climbing. I know the shock is flexing, but I can't feel it at all, and that is with pro pedal completely off. In fact, I have set my shocks and have left them fully open every ride. The stumpy is great on hills with no bob without having to set anything. It does seem to brake jack a bit when flying down bumpy trails, which the fish does not do. The Spec feels ULTRA plush though. You feel like you could drop off a house.
    -I don't think I rode the Spec enough to understand the ground clearance issue. I think the fish has a lower bottom bracket, and so the cranks are shorter. This seems to affect its climbing ability, though the 36 tooth granny gear is extremely nice.
    -The Fish turns much much better at slower speeds. For being 29" wheels, I can maneuver just about everything, including the tightest of tight switchbacks. Both bikes do not need a whole lot of twitchy steering when flying downhill. I find myself picking the hardest, rockiest line and bombing it. These bikes go over anything.

My opinion, the 09 fish was the better buy, but part of it was the good deal I got, and the 5 year red shield warranty. I am not sure you could go wrong with either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks for the detailed review and response. I will also be picking up a 2010 R-Fish...and I think I got a smokin deal too. I am really looking forward to the day I pick it up, in a week or so. I have been riding the same bike since 98 and am stoked to be getting on some new technology. What is the Red Shield?

John

mtbr member
    Congrats--I love my RF. The Red Shield is their protection warranty--you typically pay extra for it and it covers anything that goes wrong unless you injure it. I opted not to get it for three reasons. #1 If you break it, it isn't covered. 90%+ of anything that gets broken is due to user error, which isn't covered (unless your LBS stokes you out). #2 If you are wearing something out within that time, it typically means you are using your bike a lot. If you are like me, you almost wait for something to wear out so you can replace it with an upgrade, not just a replacement. The warranty is strictly a replacement warranty. #3 Money. For a couple hundred bucks, I can replace just about any consumable on the bike with my choice of component.

If you are the type that likes your LBS to do all your work and are really happy with all the components, then it might make some sense--or, if they throw it in to sweeten the deal, then why the heck not.

It is going to be a long week for you! Congrats again--