mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Still a Roscoe Fan!

So, after much deliberation between the HiFi Deluxe, EX8, and Roscoe. I still love the Roscoe. As stated before, i am going to be purchasing my first Full Suspension Mountain Bike this Spring/Summer. Initially I had been interested in the HiFi Deluxe, but right then, the Roscoe came out, and immediately had my interest as being a beefier, stronger, "more fun" bike. And on top of it, it was gorgeous. But then i started thinking about practicality of the riding terrain i have easily available to me.

I'll out and say it, Im not a climber. I'm not that strong of a climber, or endurance rider at all. I can go balls out hard for short periods of time, and during those short periods, i can climb fast, and bomb down hills. But at the end, i need a break, some water, and a short walk. I blame having asthma (I take 2 inhalers and a pill a day), mixed with not ever having the best endurance. I'll be honest though, Im just not a strong climber. I need all the help i can get climbing. So for this reason, i started to gravitate towards the EX8, because of its lighter weight, ABP feature, and overall being more designed for XC style of riding, the style of riding i do the most, but not necessarily enjoy the most. I love doing drops, jumping off and over things, and going fast down technical XC trails, but going down means i must go up, and I need all the help i can get. So again, i was thinking EX8.

Well this weekend, I was able to actually hop on the Roscoe, HiFi, and EX again, last time being in November. Me and my buddies LOVE the Trek/Fisher Demo-days, we look forward to them all year long. Disappointingly this year, hard rains and water soaked trails caused the Park Ranger to close the trails to MTB riders for the day. So we were very limited to what we could ride and where. However, it didnt take much for me to feel completely at home on the Roscoe. IDK what it is, but there is just something very comfortable for me about that bike. And the more that I think about it, its exactly what i want/need. Why would I buy a bike that is designed to climb better when i hate climbing anyways? As much as i want to be better, i dont think the 2lb difference between the 2 bikes will make me that much faster on the climbs that i already dont enjoy that much. I mean, i enjoy a struggle, a challenge, and that awesome feeling you get at the top. But I dont think the EX8 would make any of it easier when compared to a Roscoe.

So after riding the Remedy, EX9.9, Top Fuel, and Roscoe. Im a Roscoe guy again. And i cant wait to order mine this Summer.

Any Roscoe riders have any impressions on climbing? Or any love for the Roscoe at all?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I too am planing on buying the Roscoe soon. I think its the best all around deal out there. I rode XC style bikes all my life and I am ready for something new. Why not take advantage of the new technology and style of the bikes that are out there. I think AM type bikes will eventually take over a larger part of the market. Before, the technology just wasn't there. I too don't enjoy climbing as much as my younger days so an AM bike seems to fit my riding style now. The only thing I do worry about is that the Roscoe is a first year bike. I would hate to buy it to find out next year's model will have all the (if any) kinks worked out. Oh well, I'm still probably gonna buy The Roscoe 2 soon!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenkiS14
    I'll out and say it, Im not a climber. I'm not that strong of a climber, or endurance rider at all. I can go balls out hard for short periods of time, and during those short periods, i can climb fast, and bomb down hills. But at the end, i need a break, some water, and a short walk. I blame having asthma (I take 2 inhalers and a pill a day), mixed with not ever having the best endurance. I'll be honest though, Im just not a strong climber. I need all the help i can get climbing. So for this reason, i started to gravitate towards the EX8, because of its lighter weight, ABP feature, and overall being more designed for XC style of riding, the style of riding i do the most, but not necessarily enjoy the most. I love doing drops, jumping off and over things, and going fast down technical XC trails, but going down means i must go up, and I need all the help i can get. So again, i was thinking EX8.
    Take out the asthma part and you'll have a pretty good description of me. The Roscoe 1 is my first FS bike (been riding hardtails since '91) and it's such a joy to ride. I'm climbing better than ever (it soaks up the momentum-robbing stuff) and having an absolute blast on the descents. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

it didnt take much for me to feel completely at home on the Roscoe. IDK what it is, but there is just something very comfortable for me about that bike.
    Ditto.

mtbr member
    Loving my Roscoe II. It obviously cannot compete with a Top Fuel when it comes to climbing, but it climbs better then most bikes out there and does so efficiently. I am plenty able to keep up with the weight weenies I ride with on their 21 lb bikes and actually beat them the majority of the time. They ask me how much it weighs and I tell them "only 28 lbs". They were shocked and still are.

I can out corner them most of the time and they can't touch me on the descents. I love this bike and it can do everything I want. You won't regret it at all. It's designed for the majority of riders out there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Im stoked man! Yea, i cannot wait! Im gonna be getting one Im thinking in July or late June. Just depends how big of a credit card bill i want to have lol

OnTheTrailAgain
    So, after much deliberation between the HiFi Deluxe, EX8, and Roscoe. I still love the Roscoe. As stated before, i am going to be purchasing my first Full Suspension Mountain Bike this Spring/Summer. Initially I had been interested in the HiFi Deluxe, but right then, the Roscoe came out, and immediately had my interest as being a beefier, stronger, "more fun" bike. And on top of it, it was gorgeous. But then i started thinking about practicality of the riding terrain i have easily available to me.
    Pretty much word for word what I've been contemplating over the past 6 months (until a few weeks ago and pulled the trigger on a Roscoe I).

I was instantly comforatble on the HiFi Deluxe, but the Roscoe was like a HFD on Steroids and I knew I could do much more with it.
    For me, The R1 sold herself.

I'll tell you what Gary Fisher himself told me..."You're going to love that bike!" And I believe him.

OnTheTrailAgain
    Im stoked man! Yea, i cannot wait! Im gonna be getting one Im thinking in July or late June. Just depends how big of a credit card bill i want to have lol
    Money "was" an issue for me too. But, I decided that it'd be the one thing that I would get myself without restriction.
    Once you have it, all those wonderings go away and to me, the experience is well worth the money.
    To quote those credit card commericals..."Priceless."