mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Special fork needed to maintain G2 geometry?

I need a fork for my 08 GF Procaliber.
    Do I need something special?
    What would the effects be of putting a different fork other than what came on it?
    What about switching from 80mm to 100mm?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new fork to get this bike rolling, but have concerns that a major component of the G2 design was the fork.
    Last edited by indianadave; 03-26-2012 at 08:18 AM. Reason: typo in subject

mtbr member
    the 2010 gf paragon that i bought used about 5 months ago came with a non-G2 Reba fork. i have ridden this bike quite a bit and have been happy with it's handling and 'stability'. i thought about replacing this fork with a G2 to see what improvements i might get. but now i dont feel like doing that unless/untill the current fork blows out. and even then, i'd look for a fork with tapered steerer and a thru axle as 'must haves' over the G2 spec. good luck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Your Pro Caliber is a 26" wheel and the difference in the offset from the norm is not as great as the 29 design. I have both 26 and 29 bikes with G2 geometry and have tried them both with non G2 forks. I am still running the 26 without a G2 but after swapping on the 29er I do realize the benefits of the correct offset much better. It's a little more to the extreme for me since the 29er I am referring to is a Ferrous which has a ridiculous 72 something head angle. With that steep of a head angle the stiction on the fork bushings keeps the shock from activating smoothly without the G2 offset. The G2 pushes the axle further ahead, changes the forces on the fork from the forward motion, not vertical motion of encountering a bump.

While my 26 Roscoe doesn't have a G2, it is definitely not as drastic a change since the head angle is 68. Yours is 69 degrees and 26".

In short, I think that if you have never run the bike with a G2 to compare, then just like any other bike you are getting used to, you might need to fool around with stem length, bar height, sweep of the bar and bar width to get the handling you want. Don't forget that aside from a sizing issue, these changes will affect the handling characteristics/feedback from the bike as well.
    Anyone who rides a bike is a friend of mine.
    My favorite bike is whatever I am riding.
    My favorite trail is where ever I am.
    Bikes and equipment are replaceable, friends and trails are not.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for the info guys...
    I've commited to buying the fork the original owner had on the bike. It's a XFusion Enix. Even though I'd never really heard of them, it looks like it gets really god reviews, and is an excellent fork for the money.