mtbr member

Some pics of my 2008 Kaitai build

Just finished buttoning up my new build, a 2008 21" Kaitai for commuting duties. only have a couple miles on it so far but I cant wait to start commuting with this. The quick connect rear trunk bag is quite impressive I must day, it had some serious capacity and snaps on and off the rear rack with the push of a button. 2 gallons of milk and some onions fit fine in the rear bag this morning

http://i.imgur.com/5TVCL.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/oGJxc.jpg

Parts:
    ========
    Shimano XT Crankset
    Deore RD
    Alivio FD
    Alivio 3x9 shifters
    Bontrager RXL Post and stem
    Bontrager Carbon Trekking handlebars
    Avid BB7 Brakes
    Avid Speed Dial 7 levers
    11-34t Cass.
    Bontrager Select Disc wheelset
    Bontrager H2 700x35c tires
    Bontrager Backrack 2
    Interchange City Trunk

cheers!
    Last edited by Bobby12many; 05-08-2011 at 07:42 PM.

jpm
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    looks awesome! love that frame, good build as well

mtbr member
    Thank you!

Im applying some Wet-Slide OE decals (from a 2010 GF Triton) on the fork tonight to complete the look. Im hoping I can make that fork look like it was meant to be on the bike

jpm
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    good call, it looks slick either way

mtbr member
    I just bought some Bontrager "Grocery" panniers which are very nice and sturdy. only to find that the rack cannot handle the Interchange Panniers AND an Interchange trunk bag at once.

Looks like I will have to wait for the Bontrager "Deluxe" rack to come in to stock (late Sept) before I can get the fully decked out cargo abilities. Im bumming about that as I was planning a 3 day 150 miles solo ride/camping trip and utilizing all these pieces on the 16-18 of September

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I am not 100% positive but I believe the Interchange and Toppeak MTX bags/racks are the same. Check out this: TopeakŪ Cycling Accessories

If I were you I would get a beefy rear wheel before loading up 2 panniers and a trunk. I had Bontrager Select wheels on another bike, they are pretty tough but not tough enough for loaded tours. Have you looked into a frame bag, too?

Good looking bike!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssalmons View Post
    I am not 100% positive but I believe the Interchange and Toppeak MTX bags/racks are the same. Check out this: TopeakŪ Cycling Accessories

If I were you I would get a beefy rear wheel before loading up 2 panniers and a trunk. I had Bontrager Select wheels on another bike, they are pretty tough but not tough enough for loaded tours. Have you looked into a frame bag, too?

Good looking bike!

Actually I had a MTX beam rack on my hardtail MTB and found that they are not cross compatible. Although it appears that the interchange panniers should work on the Topeak deluxe racks as they just clip onto the horizontal bars on the sides of the rack.

Good call on the rear wheel, as I too was a bit worried about it's integrity when fully loaded especially since I am near teh 200# mark. Good thing is, it was cheap, so if and when it goes I wont have too much trouble swallowing the cost of a new one.

Thanks for the kind words!