Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Some pics of my 2008 Kaitai build

4K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Bobby12many 
#1 · (Edited)
Just finished buttoning up my new build, a 2008 21" Kaitai for commuting duties. only have a couple miles on it so far but I cant wait to start commuting with this. The quick connect rear trunk bag is quite impressive I must day, it had some serious capacity and snaps on and off the rear rack with the push of a button. 2 gallons of milk and some onions fit fine in the rear bag this morning :thumbsup:

https://i.imgur.com/5TVCL.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/oGJxc.jpg

Parts:
========
Shimano XT Crankset
Deore RD
Alivio FD
Alivio 3x9 shifters
Bontrager RXL Post and stem
Bontrager Carbon Trekking handlebars
Avid BB7 Brakes
Avid Speed Dial 7 levers
11-34t Cass.
Bontrager Select Disc wheelset
Bontrager H2 700x35c tires
Bontrager Backrack 2
Interchange City Trunk

cheers!

See less See more
#5 ·
I just bought some Bontrager "Grocery" panniers which are very nice and sturdy. only to find that the rack cannot handle the Interchange Panniers AND an Interchange trunk bag at once.

Looks like I will have to wait for the Bontrager "Deluxe" rack to come in to stock (late Sept) before I can get the fully decked out cargo abilities. Im bumming about that as I was planning a 3 day 150 miles solo ride/camping trip and utilizing all these pieces on the 16-18 of September :(

#7 ·
Actually I had a MTX beam rack on my hardtail MTB and found that they are not cross compatible. Although it appears that the interchange panniers should work on the Topeak deluxe racks as they just clip onto the horizontal bars on the sides of the rack.

Good call on the rear wheel, as I too was a bit worried about it's integrity when fully loaded especially since I am near teh 200# mark. Good thing is, it was cheap, so if and when it goes I wont have too much trouble swallowing the cost of a new one.

Thanks for the kind words!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.