Thread: Snap-A-Roo

mtbr member

No good Snap-A-Roo

'09 Hi-Fi Deluxe snapped the swing arm. After using some profane words, I had to hike my butt out of the woods.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Snap-A-Roo-29499_397507916812_667706812_4800550_5472821_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    The thing that really sucks, with the 8 million pictures of broken Fishers floating around the internet, good luck trying to sell one and get any money out of it when you get sick of the long scenic walks next to your broken bike. But remember- their warranty is awesome, and in a couple weeks, you'll be back riding it around wondering when its going to break again..

Meat Clever
    That. Blows.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
    A little bit of pee just trickled out of my pipi when I saw that.

mtbr member

Good job! Documenting The Ordeal

Guys, I am going to use this thread to document everything that occurs with the replacement of my swing arm. Hopefully, it will help others when they make their choice to buy a Trek / Fisher. Forgive the blog-like approach.

Bike: 2009 HiFi Deluxe (26")
    Purchased: New - March 2009
    LBS: Brands Cycle and Fitness; Wantagh, NY
    Date of Occurrence: 6/5/2010
    Business Day (M-F) to Date: 1

My bike has been taken care of at my LBS for the first year of its life.

On Saturday, 6/5 the break occurred. As soon as I changed clothes, the bike went straight to my local bike shop - a rather large shop in my area. This morning, I dropped an email just asking them to keep in the loop with everything. Within an hour, I received an email back from Brands telling me they should have a reply on Wednesday (6/9/2010) and they will keep in the loop the entire way.

I was told if I wanted, i could stop in for a test bike to get in a ride. An offer I will take them up on if it takes longer then 2 weeks. I am using a periodization schedule to get ready for my 1st race and I have a time test in 2 weeks. This is the reason why I do my business with local bikes shops - in particular this local bike shop and very little over the net. I want a relationship with my local shops in times when I need help I have them to help. Not just in fixing the issue, but going the extra miles to keep me riding.

Right now, I am content with having road miles in my near future.
    Last edited by Twenty Times; 06-11-2010 at 06:27 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I got tired of redoing LBS work.
    I do take my bike to the shop occasionally but if I can do the work and have time to do it I prefer to do it myself.
    If you have a good local shop then by all means give them your business.
    I've tried 6 or 7 shops in different parts of the country and potentially 2 of them make the grade for anything beyond a normal tuneup without any parts replacement beyond a chain.

mtbr member
    Date: 6/11/2010
    Business Days to Date: 5

Called my bike shop and received news that Trek has approved the replacement of my swing arm. The swing arm should arrive today - if not the bike will be done early next week.

So far - so good. If it is somehow is done by tomorrow, I will not miss a day of weekend riding. (weekdays are mostly road riding for time and convenience). You bet your ass I will be on the bike within minutes of it being done.

mtbr member
    DONE!

I got the call about 15 minutes ago. I am picking up my bike in the morning. The shop opens at 9:30 - I should be there shortly after 9:31!