mtbr member
    May 2006

Shock upgrade to 2001 Gary Fisher Sugar 2...

Hi guys, my father-in-law is looking for a new shock to replace his blown Cane Creek. He says it has a 7.25 eye to eye length but I don't know what stroke on the shock should be. Does anybody know the exact measurements of the shock and what would be the best shock to put on it? I'm thinking a manitou swinger 3-way or the fox rp3 or newer rp23. Does anybody have any experience with these on the sugar??

Thanks.

monkey's throw poo
    Jun 2004

maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by hombreduro
    Hi guys, my father-in-law is looking for a new shock to replace his blown Cane Creek. He says it has a 7.25 eye to eye length but I don't know what stroke on the shock should be. Does anybody know the exact measurements of the shock and what would be the best shock to put on it? I'm thinking a manitou swinger 3-way or the fox rp3 or newer rp23. Does anybody have any experience with these on the sugar??

Thanks.
    2000-2001 ran 6.5" eye to eye and 1.5" stroke, with a odd bushing ID size for the link. hard to find compatible shocks, i think fisher still has some left
    otherwise 2002-2006 ran a 7.785 eye to eye and 2" stroke.
    two six is bet-ta

I wear white socks
    Apr 2007
    For what is worth, I blew the one on my Sugar 3 and in my search for a replacement ended up getting a Cane Creek Cloud Nine. They have a discount policy if you upgrade and I was surpprised how much this changed the feel of the bike. It almost felt like a completely new bike.

I currently have the RP23 on my new bike so I cannot rate this on the Sugar, but the Cloud Nine fit the Sugar VERY well (as well as the Fox RP23 on my MotoLite) and was easy to get dialed in for the bike.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for the responses, hopefully these will help him find a shock that works and will revive his ride!!