At Work

Seat Post Slipping on RIG

Ok, picked up a RIG a month ago. Lately I have noticed the seat post is slipping down. Had to adjust it about 5 times on a 10 mile ride yesterday. I removed the coller (Bolt) and had installed a quick release clamp a few weeks ago. I am thinking that may be the culpret.
    But was wondering if anybody else had any ideas.
    2009 Titus FTM

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku
    (Resurection in Progress)

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    did it slip any with the bolt up clamp? perhaps the QR isn't applying enough pressure.

A little bit of carbon assembly (grit) paste will help hold things still with reduced clamping load.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Pull the seat post out and give the post a wipe down with brake clean to remove any grease on it. Put some on a rag and give inside the seat tube a wipe down where it clamps then refit and do the QR up nice and tight. It doesnt take much grease on it to make it slip.

mtbr member
    Is it a Trek/GF QR? Then that is your problem. Stupid things don't hold for crap. I have a GF QR on my mullet that has parts from 3 different ones and it will still slip if I don't crank it down.

My new bike is gonna have a Hope. Looks promising.

At Work
    Quote Originally Posted by slidecontrol
    did it slip any with the bolt up clamp? perhaps the QR isn't applying enough pressure.

A little bit of carbon assembly (grit) paste will help hold things still with reduced clamping load.
    Only rode it once or twice with the bolt up clamp, then swapped. Gonna go back to the bolt clamp.
    2009 Titus FTM

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku

At Work
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul1977
    Pull the seat post out and give the post a wipe down with brake clean to remove any grease on it. Put some on a rag and give inside the seat tube a wipe down where it clamps then refit and do the QR up nice and tight. It doesnt take much grease on it to make it slip.
    It has some lube on it now. But I have heard from both sides of the street. Yes Lube, No Lube........ Some Lube!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gonna clean and and see.
    2009 Titus FTM

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku

At Work
    Quote Originally Posted by pebbles
    Is it a Trek/GF QR? Then that is your problem. Stupid things don't hold for crap. I have a GF QR on my mullet that has parts from 3 different ones and it will still slip if I don't crank it down.

My new bike is gonna have a Hope. Looks promising.
    No, generic TranzX or something like that. Going back stock, think that it is strecting.
    2009 Titus FTM

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku

mtbr member
    The TranzX is most likely 80% of the trouble. Pick up a better one and lube.

My technique is to lube the inside of the frame with a long q-tip, clean the area in the frame where clamping is done and insert a clean seat post. Be sure not to let the post slip out of your hand and lube up the part you want clean. If you use water to wash your bike or ride in rain- regrease more frequently to avoid any corrosion or siezing issues.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

At Work
    Never gave an update.

Put the stock collar back on. Seatpost has not moved...........
    2009 Titus FTM

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku