mtbr member

Rumblefish/HiFi Stem Height

Now that I have owned and ridden my 2010 Rumblefish 1, I am starting to get it dialed in. With the seat height in the correct position, I noticed that my stem is about 2" higher than my seat so I am going to start lowering that to get into a better riding position. I have been told that 1"-3" below seat height is usually a good start and one of my goals is to get a little more traction from my front tire. My question is, when lowering the stem, is it best to start by removing the spacers or flipping the stem? I may end up doing both, but any and all recommendations are very appreciated.

I went from a rigid bike to the Rumblefish, so I don't even fully know what is considered good/better/best yet as everything is so much better than my 15 year old last bike. I don't have the dough right now to get it professionally fitted, but am very mechanically inclined and am willing to experiment with different things to improve my ride. I did read a bunch on stem length as well--mine is a 90mm--where they suggest for AM biking to be more in the 50-80 range--has anyone made this swap on the RF or HiFi?

Thanks folks--hope to see you all on the trails!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I just bought the same bike-I love it!!
    I too am dialing in the set up but it seems OK in terms of stem height so far.
    I would try and flip the stem over first and if it's still not low enough swap spacers. This way you don't have a long extension sticking up over the stem ready to snag delicate bits...
    Eric S

mtbr member
    I'd move the spacers first, but only out of preference. I don't like the "look" of downward-angled stems.

You could combine the approaches: move just one spacer and flip the stem, or something like that.

Honestly, it's just a stem and some spacers. Don't agonize. Just try something. You can always move things around again later on if you like.

mtbr member
    Thanks folks. Moving the stem wasn't enough so I am moving the spacers and possibly going to a flat bar. I definitely won't like the steerer tube sticking up past the stem so the plan is to get everything set and ride it for a week or so before cutting it off. Does that sound like the right game plan or is there a better procedure? Just don't want to cut the fork if there is a more common approach before cutting anything. My guess is that cutting the steerer tube is pretty common as that is what I did a decade+ ago...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    You didn't mention what size frame you're riding. I'm on a smaller Hi-Fi Plus - and short of running a dropped stem and riser bars upside down it is almost mathematically impossible to get the bars lower than the seat... I've ridden it this way for three seasons...

mtbr member
    I am on a medium frame. And yeah, that is what I am noticing...the geometry is just making it difficult. I went out briefly this morning and am not sold on where the geometry is taking me with the lower bars. I am about 3/4" below the seat with all spacers out and the stem flipped which puts them about level when I am on the bike. I am noticing that is is much harder to bring the front end up (wheelie, bunny, ect) so I need to do some more experimenting. I think that the 1"-3" recommendation is prior to 29er geometry for at least this model....

mtbr member
    It really depends on your body too. I have a HiFi Pro in 17.5 and I have longish legs. I have a lot of spacers under a 0 degree stem and my saddle is an inch higher than my bars (check out my sig pic). However, I feel the frame is a tad small for me and I am going to a 19. Still pretty sure I can get the right drop on the bars as the head tube is not that much longer. The HiFi is the same frame more or less but the fork is 100mm. That's about an inch different than your Rumblefish.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

Pirate!!!
    Tinshield, what stem did you put on your hifi? (length)?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cobb
    Tinshield, what stem did you put on your hifi? (length)?
    Thomson 0 deg 110mm. Will be going to a 19" this year with a 90mm.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

mtbr member
    This is where I am with mine, this week. Still tweaking.
    70 mm Truative stem (-20mm) and upside down, one spacer above, flat Salas bars.