mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Roscoe - shorter stem = quicker steering?

Had 2 short rides with new my roscoe so far and loving it. One small improvement I want to make is to shorten the stem as the 90mm stock stem just is just too slow when pulling manuals. However, I'm concerned a shorter stem will quicken the steering even more (it's just at the end of my comfort range at the moment) - anyone done this and how does it feel?

I've already went to a 711mm handlebar and can't go any longer (nothing left in the budget) so a shorter stem, longer handlebar is not an option.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Not on a Roscoe but on my CD prophet size large I went from a stock? 105mm to a 75mm which was a big improvement and now a 60mm. Im not yet sold on the 60mm but the steering precision is awesome and yes pretty quick but without the front end wagging I was getting from the long 105mm stem. My Prophet has a 69* HA which personally I think is to quick. The Rosoe has a 68* HA which would slow some of the quickness down IMO and would be better with the real short 60mm stem. I would say for sure to at least go with the 75mm and your ride will be better. Trek Remedy comes with 75mm stem I believe.

FWIW I'm really eyeballing a Roscoe to replace my 08 Prophet 1. Slacker HA but with good BB height, ABP, better rear suspension design with the nice DRCV shock, better Fox fork with FIT dampening and 15mm thru axle. About same weight as my Prophet weighs 29.5lbs. Trek Remedy is also a possibility with slightly more travel.

Gene Hamilton a riding instructor from CO believes for all around technical riding people should be using 50-80mm stems and would be far happier. Not sure the info is on his web site http://betterride.net/ but I have a great article from him on stem length and bar width if you want it.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    I am not a professional or anything, but something tells me the G2 geometry will probably have an effect on stem length. That is probably why in the manual they tell you to contact Fisher or your LBS about changing your stem size first. I too am wondering if the really steep switchbacks would be easier with a shorter stem, so if anyone has more that would be great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I rode a prophet for 4 years (70mm stem, 711mm handlebar) before getting the Roscoe this week. I haven't really pushed the Roscoe like I did the Prophet but between the two bikes, the Roscoe definitely steers quicker which is why it steers better at slow speeds. I can weave through technical sections on the Roscoe when riding slow whereas with the Prophet, it's more of a leaning bike, great for picking a line and shooting through - lots of fun once I got the hang of it. Now if only I can emulate the manualing prowess of the Prophet on the Roscoe...

You can definitely see the custom offset working when steering the Roscoe at slow speeds - the top tube will turn into the steer. If you end up with a Roscoe, be careful the first few times you turn the bike, especially when doing it out of the saddle. The steering was so quick, I came millimeters from a projectile endo on my first switchback. Lemme know if you get the Rosoce .... great bike!!!!

Thanks DC - "in the manual they tell you to contact Fisher or your LBS" - I didn't know 'bout this....

I hate bikes.
    I put a 40mill stem and some Atlas bars on my Roscoe and I love the it.
    Buffalo Creek sucks, stay in Denver next week.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have a 70mm stem on my Roscoe w/ a non-G2 fork and it feels pretty good.
    In general, shorter stem = more stable at high speed = slower steering.

The G2 offset on the GF fork causes the bike have faster, more XC style steering.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    jcholpuch : what aftermarket fork do you have? lenght?
    I have an non-G2 Talas 140mm RLC 2010 FIT + 90mm stem and my roscoe feels REALLY quick stearing. I am thinking in going to a 60 or 70 mm stem... I am not fully convenced of its handling with the combo i have now

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rafjj1976
    jcholpuch : what aftermarket fork do you have? lenght?
    I have an non-G2 Talas 140mm RLC 2010 FIT + 90mm stem and my roscoe feels REALLY quick stearing. I am thinking in going to a 60 or 70 mm stem... I am not fully convenced of its handling with the combo i have now
    I have the 2010 Rockshox Revolution Dual Air with 150mm travel and a 70mm Thomson x4 stem. Just got back from Whistler and I am happy how the bike handled at high speeds, jumps, etc.

For reference, most DH bikes use an even shorter 50mm stem and more slack geometry but these bikes don't climb or ride XC trails.