mtbr member
    May 2005

Roscoe 3 or EX9 frame for warranty replacement

I have the choice between these 2 frames for a warranty on a broken Hi Fi of my son.

EX9 is a 120mm frame and the Roscoe a 140mm frame. The extra travel could be nice but maybe not so important as other details.

What would you choose and why excluding any new parts needed?

Trek EX9 frame has the full floater and the ABP convert which can use either 135 or 142 axle. Roscoe just the regular ABP. Both have the DRCV shock obviously but the Trek will be a 2012 RP3 version with boost valve/3 position so possibly better? Roscoe would be an RP23 DRCV from 2010.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I would go for the Trek, the Roscoe had some issues with the chainstay breaking and I think the EX frames have been more solid.

mtbr member
    How long did it take to hear back from Trek on the warranty claim? I hope they offer me Fuel EX. Seems like the Trek bikes were significantly more reliable than the GFs.

int'l house of paincakes
    Feb 2012
    Did you decide on the Roscoe or EX9?
    I broke 2 chainstays and cracked the bottom tube of my first Roscoe frame. I got a replacement Roscoe frame and cracked it's chainstay too. Trek is swapping me out for an EX9 which I'm really excited to ride. I absolutely love the Roscoe, my favorite bike by far, but I just got tired of the frame issues. And I'm not doing crazy drops or anything.
    Trek and my LBS have been top-notch as far as handling the issues. I wish the Roscoe was still in their lineup so they could have worked out the chainstay issue.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    This is kind of funny. I went for the EX9 frame to replace the broken Hi Fi frame but before I made up my mind I found a brand new leftover 2010 Roscoe 1 for $1500 (almost 1/2 MSRP). This is the matte green/black/white and my son lusted for this bike when it came out but at the time to much money. For $1500 with warranty a steal I think.

The EX9 frame will be built up for my other son to replace a 2008 Marin Mount Vision.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b