mtbr member
    Apr 2010

rig single speed questions

i am looking into buy one of theses and was wondering the pro's and con's on this setup..
    im 220 at 5'11'' and have been riding bmx and want to change over to a 29er ss mountain bike ... like to do drop offs about 2 to 3 foot, some good jumps, and fast trails all in one..

http://fisherbikes.com/bike/model/rig-single-speed

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    What's your question? I have one and like it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i like to know what is the weak points and what needs to be up-graded on the bike,what have you changed on yours and what do you not like about it...this will be my first mountain bike,so all info will be great...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    i love my rig. my friend rode it and liked it so much he went out and bought one.
    the only thing that i dislike is the bottom bracket make a lot of noise if it isn't lubed up regularly. Mine is still 100% stock, except for pedals, cogs, and chain. It comes stock with a 32-18 set up, but in hilly PA i don't think I could comfortably push a 18 uphill so I swapped a 20 tooth in the back.
    If you are an experienced biker you will have no problems with this bike. I switched from an entry level Diamondback to a Rig and never regretted it except it did make me a poor college student.

mtbr member
    Its a pretty solid parts spec on the rig. But it is a singlespeed, so there is not much on it. I have made some minor changes to mine, but nothing major. I would not recommend jumping this bike, with fishers frame issues. That was supposed to be addressed in the newer models, but I'm almost positive that this bike is not made for it. I could be paranoid due to cracking two different Rig frames though, and I do not jump.
    To answer your question though, you will need pedals, probably a new seat, and buy a few different sized cogs and you will be happy.

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009
    With your weight and riding style, I would not recommend a Rig..........

I own two of them ( one as a SS and one as a 1x9 ) and love them, but would not think of them as "jumpers".......

mtbr member
    I LOVE my RIG. With your weight I don't think I would do any serious jumping. They are known to break at the head tube so be careful. Plus jumping a 29er is weird. Nothing like jumping a BMX 20".

AZ
    banned
    I really like my Rig but , I would not do three foot drops on one .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    I really like my Rig but , I would not do three foot drops on one .

+1

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Buy one and jump the heck out of it. When it breaks GF will give you a new one! Hopefully nobody will get hurt.

mtbr member
    Lets just hope that when you "Jump the heck out of it" you don't break your face when the head tube snaps off and you eat dirt. Have fun. I love my RIG by the way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ssalmons
    Buy one and jump the heck out of it. When it breaks GF will give you a new one! Hopefully nobody will get hurt.
    frames arent always free if you misuse them.

At Work
    Every bike built has a purpose. Find the bike that is ment to take 3' drops.
    2009 Titus FTM

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku
    (Resurection in Progress)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssalmons
    I'm looking to buy a Rig off craigslist. Would I still get a replacement if I'm not the first owner?
    Mary ss shenanigans

mtbr member
    No. You have to be the original owner.