Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

RF ABP drop outs '10 vs '11

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Noclutch 
#1 ·
I see that for '11 the GF RF 1 and 2 get the 142x12mm rear axle like the Fuel EX9 and up get.The base '11 RF gets the skewer like all '10's. In the magazines they tout that the '11 Fuels dropouts can be changed to 135x5mm from 142x12 for backup wheel sets.

So does anyone know if the '11 12mm ABP parts are interchangeable with '10 5mm parts like on my '10 RF1??

When it's wheel replacement time I'd like to stiffen things up back there with 12mm axle :)

And please excuse my ignorance on this, but would my current 529 hub be convertable to 12mm??

#2 ·
I spoke to our Trek Rep about it just this week. He thinks you will be able to retrofit the 2010 Rumblefish (and of the course, if the RF works, then so will the HiFi and SF100), but I am going to call tech next week to see what they have to say about it. It may be just a simple matter of changing from ABP Race hardware to ABP Convert hardware, but if the bearings are different, it will complicate things. I won't really know for sure until we get a 2011 RF in the shop and I can take it apart and compare to mine.

To your last question, probably not.

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks Blunder. The '10 bearings are 10mm ID, 22mm OD....so it sounds like they'd need to be changed to accept 12mm axle. The question is is the '11 bearing OD and '11 chain stay and seat stay itself the same? ie just having a new 12x22mm bearing? If so, we're golden with a bearing and drop out/ABP/derailleur hanger parts change out.

#4 ·
Bad news, according to tech support, everything is different back there. You would have to replace the entire rear end of the frame. I figure it would be a few hundred for upper and lower stays and all the necessary hardware, plus the cost of a new wheel/hub.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.