Thread: R.I.P. Big Sur

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

R.I.P. Big Sur

2001 hard tail big sur just cracked above the weld on the seat tube (near the bb).

Bike was ridden a lot on the East coast until late 2005. Mostly technical, rocky, rooty stuff no big jumps or drops. Then only saw commuter duty until this year when I started riding dirt again. Bike died somewhere near the top of mailbox (back in Cali now). Definitely a JRA as I didn't even notice until a short uphil and the dreaded KLUNK. Any thoughts on reasonable expectation for a return or replacement?

I upgraded to a new full sus and love it. But, I am now down to 0 hard tails and it would be nice to build something back up for XC runs. Plus, I have a full build of reasonably good stuff just sitting because of all the changes to the current standards.

Thanks a ton.

I hate that name.
    If you're the original owner, it's under warranty. Just take it to your local Trek dealer to start the process.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by blunderbuss View Post
    If you're the original owner, it's under warranty. Just take it to your local Trek dealer to start the process.
    ^^this

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Update

Thought I'd chime in with the update.

After a start-stop with the local dealer while I found my receipt (purchased 10 years ago from a bike store 3000 miles from where I currently live that is under new-ownership and a new name)...

I dropped into epicenter cycling in Santa Cruz, CA with receipt in hand (last Sunday). I let them know that this was only ever going to be my spare bike (currently riding a Mojo SL-R) so my main concerns were around using the kit I pulled from my dead Big Sur (1-1/8 steerer tube, BB-92, 9mm QR, etc...)

I got a call on Monday that my frame was on the way. A call on Wednesday that it was in. Picked up my new frame on Thursday. Total outlay $20 processing fee.

By the way - new Frame is new-old-stock 2011 Trek 9.8 Carbon. Score! Trek warranty rocks!

Only problem is now I want to build it nice