mtbr member

Question about GF Utopia

Interested in getting a Utopia as a commuter bike that has a MTB geometry and ability. I know it's not a true off-road bike, but that's not what I'm looking for in this bike, as I have other bikes that fit the bill. I want something with bigger tires, and I hear that I can convert this to a 29er. Never would I've thought I'd go there, but I really dig the matte black 2010 Utopia frame.

I'm completely new to the GF brand and would like to know where the Utopia stands in the model range. The frame is made from their Gold aluminum. I read somewhere that the Utopia is the same frame as the Paragon. True?

I've called a few shops and the lowest price is $800. The smallest size GF carries is 15.5, and I'm about 5'1"-3" (on a good day). I'm wondering if this bike is doable for me. I'm currently using a Cannondale F7 converted for road duty. It currently has a Pace RC31 440mm A-C that I'd like to put on the Utopia. Doable?

I hate that name.
    The Montare/Utopia/Kaitai all use the same frame, but it is not the same frame as the Paragon/Xcal/Cobia/Mamba. The dual sports are basically (in stock form) inexpensive skinny tire 29ers. Either of them should make a decent commuter. I almost ordered a Utopia for myself before I realized that I would probably give up the bike commuting thing after a week or so. $800 for a Utopia is a good price, list is $879. I don't know about the sizing on the 15.5, as I have only seen the 17.5 and 19. (Kaitai)
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    For what it's worth, I almost went the same route - until I found a used Cobia for about the same price. A 29'er can always be converted to dual sport with skinnier tires, but a dual sport isn't built for 29'er duty. Through trial and error, I found that fast-rolling big tires (nanoraptors or small block eights) ride much softer and are great for both purposes. I love riding my 29er on the street and the trails.

Plastic homer
    I have an '09 - it mounts up the Superstock 29 wheels from my '08 HiFi with 2.1 Vulpines just fine. You'll smack the FD with 2.25s I think.

My training rides include a lot of gravel/trail stuff, and it does fine on single track. Geared fairly high compared to my other mountain bikes with 48T big ring.

I also have some Bontrager Select Discs with Kenda Kross Supremes for around town.

I upgraded brakes to Juicy 3 and handlebar to 12 degree Big Sweep.

It is basically the first generation Genesis 29er frame.

mtbr member
    Utopia's are pretty sweet. I had an '07, gave it to my brother, and even rode it on some trails. Granted, it wasn't the most ideal machine, but it was still fun and capable.