MCF
    mtbr member

Possible to buy G2 fork?? New Cobia

A friend of mine is about to buy a 2010 Cobia with the 80mm G2 fork (I know 2011 is about to come out with 100mm G2 fork but he wants the 2010). Is it possible to buy G2 forks - what if you blow your fork and need to replace it. Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MCF
    A friend of mine is about to buy a 2010 Cobia with the 80mm G2 fork (I know 2011 is about to come out with 100mm G2 fork but he wants the 2010). Is it possible to buy G2 forks - what if you blow your fork and need to replace it. Thanks!!
    fox will sell you a fox rl 29 g2 offset fork for $750. in another words, they're highly over priced. rockshox is a PITA because they make you buy from distributors / dealers which becomes a hassle. don't know about pricing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Yep, in hindsight that's the one big negative to buying a GF with the G2 geometry...if you don't go high enough on the model line to get a "keeper" level fork from the outset, upgrading later on will be a PITA. From what I gather here are what the options are:

1. Buy directly from Fox, which is the only manufacturer making aftermarket G2's available, and pay out the nose as common_man mentioned.

2. Watch ebay/craigslist/mtbr classifieds for used G2 forks that others are upgrading from.

3. Buy a non-G2 fork from wherever you like, losing the G2 characteristic of the bike (making it a pre-'09 Genesis in essence).