mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Parts for '95 Hoo Koo E Koo bike

Hi, I am new to the forum and I am looking for some info regarding my 1995 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo "Grateful Dead" bike.

Basically years of use and sitting outside have left the chain and Cassettes in pretty bad shape. By rear cassette refuses to shift at all at this point. I've been trying to do some research but I know nothing about bike parts and trying to figure this out from browsing part shops is quite intimidating.

Could anyone point me in the direction of where i may be able to find either replacement parts that will work for this model, or at least some kind of spec sheet so i can figure what size chain to buy etc..?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I am looking at doing some upgrades to my 02 Marlin and your local bicycle shop is a great resource that can probably provide you with headache and time saving advice on what parts will work w/ your bike.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    The cassette refuses to shift?
    Usually that's a deraileur problem not a cassette problem.
    (Other things to check in the same system include the shifters, the cables and the chain.)

That's not to say that your cassette is ok, it may need replacing as well.
    Key things to keep in mind there are the number of cogs and the number of teeth particularly in the smallest and largest gears.
    Most but not all cassettes are compatible when replaced by a set containing the same number of and size of cogs.

The number of cogs also determines the type of chain. (8 speed, 9 speed) You usually use the same number of links as the chain you remove unless you know it has been altered in which case there is a rule of thumb where you loop the chain around the largest gears and add a link.