Thread: Paragon rebirth

mtbr member

Paragon rebirth

Last year I attempted to sell the Paragon but I had no bites, so I decided to part most of it out. Sold many of the parts (drivetrain, brakes, etc) but couldn't offload the frame. Seems I couldn't even give the damn thing away.

After rummaging through all my crap I figured out I pretty much had everything I needed to do a singlespeed conversion aside from the spacers for the hub and a tensioner. I decided to build it up as an experiment since my other bike was a rather portly Redline Monocog.

Build is as follows:
    09 Paragon frame with the stock fork (painted black), wheels, tires (tubeless), and cransket
    Hope Mono Mini brakes
    Surly 17t cog
    Some sort of ss 32t chainring I had sitting around
    SRAM 8-speed chain
    Thomson seatpost and clamp
    ESI grips
    DMR fixed tensioner

The frame is an XL. With pedals it came to 23.4lbs. Not too shabby considering nothing on the bike could really be classified as being light. So far I love it. Feels like a rocket compared to my Monocog and I really do like this frame better without the gears on it.

My only complaint was the same complaint I had before...damn creaking seatpost. Seems quality control on this frame isn't all that great and the seattube is slightly larger than 27.2. I'm expecting to have some slipping issues like I did before I tore this bike down. Any suggestions on a fix? Maybe a sliver of a coke can as a shim?

Signature

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    sweet