mtbr member

Paragon goes 1 x 9

I bought my 2009 Gary Fisher Paragon after extensive research, based mostly on antidotal stories on this website. It's been a great bike for me, but has been neglected to second best after I picked up a 2012 Giant Anthem X29er 1 early in October.

Now that the weather outside is too nasty for my main ride, I've decided to put my Paragon to use as a winter and early spring ride. Basically, it's my nasty weather riding machine from here on out.

The Giant is a 2 x 10 system and I much prefer it to my 3 x 9 on my Paragon. I hardly ever use the 42T and even less the 22T, so I figured why not give a single ring up front a shot? Using marpilli's GT buildup thread for some inspiration (see thread here: GT Frame Build-Up - 2005 Aggressor) I decided to go for it. Here's my tale of trimming some fat off the bike...

Bike in kitchen, check. Wife gone on holidays, check.

So ugly, 42/32/22, just crazy front end gearing for a hardtail 29er

Lots of chunky parts on the front end. That front derailleur has got to go!

With wifey gone, time to make use of the stove....

BBG bashwich setup

Outer guard close up

Nice clean stove top!

Inner bashgaurd

Time to pull up some sleeves and get to work!

Bigger tool required.

Might as well just use the right tool in the first place!

Bye-bye shifter. You will not be missed.

From the bike to the counter top!

All naked-like

Single speed chainring

Pants match the shirt, just need a jacket

Jacket looks good!

Random poser shots

Clearance looks good

Camera toy effect shot

New chain. Big cassette, single front chainring, no derailleur plus two links. I can actually probably stand to remove some more chain, but I'll run it as if for now.

Old chain!

Up to this point, things were going good. But as luck would have it, I should of gone with a 30T setup and possibly avoided the probably of chainstay rub on my inner guard. Actually, it's more like inner chainstay blocker rather than rub, so....

Time to call in some backup

Not pictured, four foot breaker bar. I really hate bottom bracket work

With bashgaurd now clearing the chainstay, I get this junk. Chain line is like a drunken Tonga line...just embarrassing

A shirt and pant setup it is. Guess we don't need the jacket for this event. Hopefully I don't discover later on that I'm going to have to downsize a ring and do this all over again with different pants and a smaller jacket

You'll have to trust me that the chain line is much better, even if it doesn't show too well

Random art

It feels like I can lose two more links, but somebody please chime in if you think I've taken too many links out based on this shot

Thoughts - no ride yet, but the bling factor is cool. I'm a bit bummed that I can't have my sandwich and eat it too, so I'm going to have to settle for the outer guard only for now. The whole point of the sandwich is chain retention. If my chain falls off consistently, I'll spring for a new setup.

Will post back after some rides to comment on actual real-world ride reports. Given weather, that might be a while from now...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Got an '09 Pirahna that I've considered converting to either a 2 x 9 or 1 x 9. Still not sure yet what to do, but I do have me one of those BBG bashguards. Nice piece at a nice price too. I assume you didn't need to get new chainring bolts to put it on after you removed the outer chainring?

mtbr member
    You don't need new chainring bolts, but I picked up some black ones from Pricepoint at the same time i ordered the chainring. $7 or something like that. I just wanted black bolts is all.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    You can get a 8 buck nGear jump stop to keep the chain in place it works great on my 1x9. Before i installed it i was stopping 2 to 3 times to put my chain back on every time i rode.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    ^ Sounds good! I'll wait and see if I have any chain retention problems before I start looking to do anything else.

mtbr member
    ....so no ride report yet. I'm such a slacker! I'm hoping that the 32T will work, but the perfectionist in me is thinking that we'll see a true Bashwich sandwich setup before spring - likely 30T if that'll clear the stays.

Weather report this weekend is around zero Celsius, no excuse for me not to get out!

I <3 dirt
    Good thing you went 1x9 because that front derailleur was WAY too high up!
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Just an update on how the setup is doing. I've got about 150km on this new setup, mostly mud and snow. Lots of crud on the drivetrain, some stair riding, singletrack, high speed chatter bumps, etc. I've logged enough rides and ridden enough terrain to have a good feel as to how the setup is doing with no specific chain retention device. So far only one drop and that was a result of me bunnyhopping the bike up and down to shed some mud.

Big thumbs up to my personal results. Couple of more weeks and I get my other bike out and put this one aside for nasty weather, next spring riding, and possibly some winter riding in six months!