mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Paragon cracked.....what frame replaces it now?

Just cracked my 09 Paragon, cant complain much since I have pounded it for 3 years. Looks like I will get a replacement under warranty but was curious what frame I will get as a replacement. I cant get it to the shop until next week so was curious if anybody knows.

Warrior's Society
    You will get the same frame.....just the updated version.....no longer the Paragon.....will be Trek Superfly(aluminum).

From the sounds of it, the post 2009 frames have been pretty solid.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    You will get the same frame.....just the updated version.....no longer the Paragon.....will be Trek Superfly(aluminum).

From the sounds of it, the post 2009 frames have been pretty solid.

I was hoping for the superfly and not a cobia or x-cal frame.

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by bigherb View Post
    I was hoping for the superfly and not a cobia or x-cal frame.
    I believe they are all the same frame.....just different paint/decals.

I hate that name.
    No, the SF AL hardtails are not the same frame as the Xcal, Cobia, Mamba, Marlin, Wahoo with different paint/decals. SF uses a nicer alloy and has a tapered headtube and press fit bb.

OP, you'll most likely get a SF AL frame.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    They just offered me 2012 X-Cal....not too happy. Looks like a downgraded aluminum to me. We are still negotiating though. It's kind of frustrating, everything is done through email, why cant the dealer just call Trek and get it straight.

mtbr member
    My 09 Paragon frame was replaced with a 2012 Superfly Al Elite. Guess it is an upgrade if you think tapered head tubes and a press fit bb are upgrades. Trek wouldn't help me out with the headset or bottom bracket so those had to come out of pocket. Hind sight I should have pressed for the XCal since everything would have swapped over. New Al Elite now includes a direct mount FD, so keep that in mind if you are still running multiple rings up front and want to push for that frame.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
    My 09 Paragon frame was replaced with a 2012 Superfly Al Elite. Guess it is an upgrade if you think tapered head tubes and a press fit bb are upgrades. Trek wouldn't help me out with the headset or bottom bracket so those had to come out of pocket. Hind sight I should have pressed for the XCal since everything would have swapped over. New Al Elite now includes a direct mount FD, so keep that in mind if you are still running multiple rings up front and want to push for that frame.

They are getting me the superfly al, but have to wait until the end of November. I run a 1x9 so FD is not a problem. What headset did you end up using?

mtbr member
    I went with the mix and match Cane Creek 40-series with the crown race for non tapered steer tubes.

Someone makes a press in adapter that will allow you to use your standard external bb cups in a press fit frame. You may want to explore that route instead of paying for a press fit Shimano bb. I regret not going that route...I think it will end up being much cheaper in the long run.
    Signature

At Work
    Friend had his 09 Ex8 frame crack. TREK sent him an 2011/2012 EX9 with the new DRCV Shock, headset (for straight an for tapered fork). Push for the headset or at least the reduced bottom section to match your straight steer tube.
    2009 Titus FTM

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku
    (Resurection in Progress)

mtbr member
    Worth a shot. I wasn't able to get anywhere with them on the headset or bb.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Little put off by the whole process. Trek store is still trying to talk me into the x-cal.....told me since my paragon was several years old I should be willing to take the x-cal. They also offered to upgrade to carbon. When they checked on the price difference they were told supply was to high at retail. Which kind of makes me think they care more about new customers than old ones. Oh well.....probably be my last bike purchased from Trek.

mtbr member
    If they offer carbon...go with it. I was hoping to get the carbon offer but was given the AL Elite instead.

Aside from having to come out of pocket for the bb and headset, I also had an issue with the frame tubing being too large for the 27.2 seatpost (post literally drops down into the frame before tightening up the collar). Seems Trek's quality control standards are lacking. I would have taken the frame back to get another but I had already pressed in the bb. Apparently you can't/shouldn't reuse the Shimano press fit bb when you remove it from the frame...so I didn't want to have to shell out even more money for another one. I ended up shimming the post with a soda can. Not thrilled but it works.
    Signature

I hate that name.
    From your posts, it sounds like Trek has no problem sending the SF, it is just delayed. The Xcal will be a less expensive (zero cost if you do the work yourself, but personally I'd at least use new cables) option since all the parts switch over. Even though you run 1x10, you still use some sort of guide on the front, yes?
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by blunderbuss View Post
    From your posts, it sounds like Trek has no problem sending the SF, it is just delayed. The Xcal will be a less expensive (zero cost if you do the work yourself, but personally I'd at least use new cables) option since all the parts switch over. Even though you run 1x10, you still use some sort of guide on the front, yes?
    They will send the Superfly but only after I expressed my unhappiness. The dealer offered a carbon upgrade but was then shot down by Trek stating too high of a demand at retail. This got me ticked as I see them more worried about getting frames for new purchases than warranty replacements. Anyway, I told them to send the X-Cal in a smaller size and I am going to give it to my wife and purchase a new frame for myself.

mtbr member
    Ah I misunderstood your post on the carbon frame. Guessing maybe Trek started cracking down on that upgrade on broken aluminum frames. Before Trek buried the GF brand it seemed a carbon Superfly was frequently used as the replacement frame for cracked Paragons.
    Signature

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
    Ah I misunderstood your post on the carbon frame. Guessing maybe Trek started cracking down on that upgrade on broken aluminum frames. Before Trek buried the GF brand it seemed a carbon Superfly was frequently used as the replacement frame for cracked Paragons.
    It had more to do with what they had in stock. If a Paragon cracked an they weren't getting any in stock anytime soon, they often sent the next model up....which was the Superfly.

The 3 warranty claims that I dealt with when it came to cracked Al frames resulted on them sending the current year model of the frame that was cracked.

banned
    Apr 2009
    Trek store is still trying to talk me into the x-cal.....told me since my paragon was several years old I should be willing to take the x-cal.
    My old Paragon was more than a few years older than yours. Here is my new Superfly (with new XT front derailer---and 2 Cane Creek 40 headset pieces)--BUT the new Geometry is A LOT better in my opinion than the old geometry.

I had the BEST experience in dealing with TREK (guess it depends who is your local shop--and TREK rep??)

--but I would definatley go with the Tapered head tube on the Superfly Elite (can't wait to get my new XX tapered fork this year)----
    Last edited by 247; 12-13-2012 at 09:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Finally got the replacement frame yesterday. Got a smaller 17.5 X-Cal and plan on building for my wife. Good looking frame. The dealer was going to charge me $25 handling fee until I told him it would be the last $25 Trek ever got out of me. He then decided to give me the money back, but the damage is done. I am finished with Trek and their dealers.

banned
    Apr 2009
    I am finished with Trek and their dealers.
    That is a shame (but I guess it is all about who your dealer is)----the very first TREK dealer I went to (to look at the bikes was THE WORST experience I have ever had going into a store)---they were Complete *****!! and i went in there looking for a Wahoo (or Piranha) to buy..

--BUT Since then the last 4 TREK dealers I have dealt with were all Excellent!! Including a free frame (and labor!!) So I am a TREK fan (and my one dealer) for life because if my TREK experience...

Well at least your wife got a nice bike (and lifetime warranty) and maybe they will handle her better (if her frame breaks..) My new Superfly in Insane (with handling and geometry...)--Good luck..

Warrior's Society
    Finally got the replacement frame yesterday. Got a smaller 17.5 X-Cal and plan on building for my wife. Good looking frame. The dealer was going to charge me $25 handling fee until I told him it would be the last $25 Trek ever got out of me. He then decided to give me the money back, but the damage is done. I am finished with Trek and their dealers.

Why did they give you a smaller frame as a warranty replacement. That makes no sense.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    My LBS did me well when my '09 Cobia cracked. Had a new frame and all setup in less than 2 weeks, had a loaner during the time waiting. Trek and more importantly my LBS made the process quick, painless, and cost free for me.

I think it is the dealer that wins in this situation and how they handle their customers.

At Work

Re: Paragon cracked.....what frame replaces it now?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    Why did they give you a smaller frame as a warranty replacement. That makes no sense.
    Go back and trad. He requested the smaller frame.
    2009 Titus FTM

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku
    (Resurection in Progress)

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm not sure why you are disappointed with what you got. Just because SOME people got a free upgrade frame when their Aluminum frame broke doesn't mean that Trek OWES you a carbon upgrade. It's not like they were offering you less than what you have. 09 Paragon frame and 2012 Xcal frame are pretty much the same. The Paragon was higher end in 2009 than the Xcal but they were the same frame. The only difference between the Xcal and the SF now is a tapered headtube and press fit bottom bracket. It isn't lighter or made of significantly better materials.

Why is the Xcal frame OK for the wife, but unridable for you? I would have just got the Xcal and rode it until it breaks too and get another one. You don't deserve an upgrade for being a loyal customer. You aren't even that loyal, you are willing to jump ship if you don't get what you want. Carbon frames in high demand means they don't have one to give you. They are TCT made in Taiwan and they probably didn't have any at the time. They usually offer what they have in stock. If they gave someone carbon, it was simply because they didn't have any AL frames to send. They always offer what they have now and what's is currently comparable to what you purchased but you have to wait if they don't have any.