mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Paint job on 98 Big Sur

Hi,

I just bought a 98 GF Big Sur and really like the frame,so much I am upgrading it bit by bit instead of buying a new bike.One problem it has is the paint job,it's terrible!I like the color(Yellow),but it chips and gouges so easy it's becoming frustrating.I haven't even done anything off trail yet and it seems every time I look at it there's another bare spot.

Anyway,any suggestions on what to do about it?I'm not sure I'd want to repaint the whole frame because of cost and how would I replace the stickers?Would just getting the bad spots refinished and maybe a new clear coat on it be viable?I have no idea where to bring it for that,I'm not sure we have a place that does bikes.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Chris

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Cool-blue Rhythm Paint Job - I feel your pain

Chris,

I have the same exact trouble on my '07 Hifi! Awesome paint job, but very soft/unreliable paint. New chips/dings each tome I look at it.

Di you get any useful input? did like the idea of some type of clear paint finish to protect the paint job. Did you hear of or try something that might work?

Gautam Bose

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CRed
    ...Anyway,any suggestions on what to do about it?...
    These are from the FAQ page at Fisher's website:

Q. I have an older bike that is in need of a paint job. Can I send it back to the factory and have Fisher do the work? A. Yes, we do offer re-paint services for our bikes. Contact your local dealer for current color options and pricing.

Q. Where can I get touch-up paint for my bike? A. Your local Fisher dealer can touch up paint for most of the colors we offer. We do not have touch-up paint for imported bikes, but most of those colors can be matched with model paint available from a hobby store or automotive touch-up paints.
    Fear can be your greatest ally or your biggest nemesis.

Crash = Try

rage

mtbr member
    Oh yeah, I forgot... I just bought a Ferrous 29 and leaning pretty heavy towards having it sent to the powder coater. I don't care about decals and the finish is much more duable than paint. The cost shouldn't be more than about $75.00.
    Fear can be your greatest ally or your biggest nemesis.

Crash = Try

rage

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'm having the same exact problem on my 07 Hifi. I don't think sending ti back to factory is an option -- since the paint scratchs so easily, it woul just happen again and again.

Has anyone had experiecen with try to add clear-coat or somesuch? I'm looking for a protective finish...

Thanks!

Gautam