dtj
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Newbie to Gary Fisher Joshua ZO

o.k. I'm new to the site and to full suspension bikes. Long story short, was looking for a new bike for my son when we ran across this bike at a pawn shop for $75. My son was not interested in it so I bought it thinking it might work for my daughter. It seems like it's in pretty good shape and the more I work on it the more I'm wondering if I should keep it for myself and find something else for her. I've tried to search the forum and don't seem to be finding the right thread that talks about these bikes and whether or not they are worth hanging on to. Are these bikes better than a newer entry level bike or is the suspension and geometry too outdated. I would probably classify my riding as mostly recreational with occasional intermediate level trails and riding. If this bike is still a reasonable riding bike it would sure be a lot easier on my pocket book.

Also, I think the fork (marzocchi bomber) needs some work because it seems to compress fairly easy. Can anyone tell me how to service it?

Can someone fill me in on the rims and hubs. Right now it appears that they have road tires on them and I'd like to replace them with mtn bike tires. Are these rims suited for off road use?

dj
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Newbie to Gary Fisher Joshua ZO-img_6915.jpg  

Newbie to Gary Fisher Joshua ZO-img_6916.jpg  

Newbie to Gary Fisher Joshua ZO-img_6917.jpg  

Newbie to Gary Fisher Joshua ZO-img_6918.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Excellent find! This bike is loaded with top shelf parts from its day. Is it better than today's entry level bikes? Most definately! Is it worth keeping and fixing? YES. Are your wheels off road capable? Yes.

Sorry I can't help with your fork problem, you might try calling the closest bike shop and see if they can still order parts for that fork.

Your bike looks like this: Joshua but with an upgraded fork.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    That was my first mountain bike and I rode it for quite a few years, before finally getting a Hifi. You'll be fine with it.

mtbr member
    Nice Find! Ditch that saddle!