mtbr member
    May 2010

New rear shock for an old GF Sugar 2.

Hi.

The Cane Creek AD-10 rear shock on my old GF Sugar 2 from 2000 has died and im looking for a new rear shock.

Any recomendations what could be a good choise and will fit an work well on my frame? It an 165mm shock so theres a lot to chose from.

Need all the help i can get.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Let me know if you find out anything, I have a 2002 sugar 2 with the ad 12, and I'd kinda like to get on to something with propedal and lockouts. Also, have you upgraded your front fork...inwas wanting to get a newer fox fork, but I'm afraid I'll get something that's too big or has more travel than the frame was intended for.

Trail Hessian

rebuild your old shock

I had an AD10 at one time, and it was surprisingly simple to rebuild. Contact Cane Creek for a seal kit, probably $20-30 if they're still available. They come with great instructions as I recall.
    I'd be wary about spending too much on a replacement shock on a frame that is that old. Cane Creek has a $245 trade in program for a Cloud 9 shock, or I remember a few years ago my LBS ordered an aftermarket Fox Float R (with preset propedal) for my old Tomac and it worked wonderfully for under $300 and it came with the right spacers even.

Otherwise there are lots of new and used Fox Floats or Manitou Swingers on ebay for fair prices, the only caveats are that you need the correct spacers for your frame and if a shock was valved for a different type of suspension design, it may not work on your Sugar.

Good luck.
    That's not what he said, you ignorant wretch. Your Spanish is worse than your English.