mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Need help with upgrading!

I have a 2009 GF Piranha and was wanting to upgrade my SRAM X5 front and rear derailers to the SRAM X9. However, for the front derailer, there is an option for a "High clamp" or "low clamp" Which one is a better pick for my bike? Or does it even matter? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Cool bike! Is there something wrong with your current setup? Something not shifting correctly?

If you're looking for better shifting, here is my list of priorities:
    1. Cables and housings
    2. Chain and derailleur
    3. Shifters
    4. Rear derailleur
    5. Front derailleur

Try cleaning and lubing everything first before you spend your hard earned money.

PS.I'm pretty sure it's a low clamp front derailleur.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ssalmons View Post
    Cool bike! Is there something wrong with your current setup? Something not shifting correctly?

If you're looking for better shifting, here is my list of priorities:
    1. Cables and housings
    2. Chain and derailleur
    3. Shifters
    4. Rear derailleur
    5. Front derailleur

Try cleaning and lubing everything first before you spend your hard earned money.
    Yes, my chain keeps locking up at the back of the crank. I've had a couple of tune ups, which would help but only enough to do a race/event. Tried swapping chains but no change. Another problem is that, it only locks up when I actually ride. If I have the bike up on a stand and I just turn the pedal, nothing happens. I'll try giving it a more thorough cleaning than I normally do. Hopefully it isn't something more than the supposed bent derailleur. Thank you for your input! =D

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Sounds like classic chain suck, check or have a shop check your chainrings for wear. A new chain will "suck" when mixed with worn chain rings.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'll have the guys at the shop check on that. For as long as I've been riding, this is the first time I'm hear about that. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    sweet